Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much Milk alongside Solids at Nursery

Default How much Milk alongside Solids at Nursery

My 9 month old started nursery yesterday. He was there from 8-4 (8 hours). He only drank 3oz of the breastmilk I sent in. He did however polish off weetabix fir breakfast, spaghetti bolognese for lunch then a sandwich and fruit for a snack. Do you think that's too much solids and not enough breastmilk? Should I be telling them to give him the milk first then the solids?..

He is BLW and feeds himself

Default Re: How much Milk alongside Solids at Nursery

Until a year, you want to maximize breastmilk intake, so I would definitely ask the nursery to offer the breastmilk bottle before the solids.

If your baby had drunk all the milk you sent and also ate the solids as described, I would say that your baby's solid intake is fine. But since he didn't drink much milk, it sounds like the solids did impact his milk intake,mwh ouch means things should probably be switched around a bit.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My little guy only drinks 3-4 ounces of milk over an eight hour separation too. He just refuses to drink out of the bottle and only wants solids and water. He's been like that since eight months and it doesn't seem to have effected him negatively at all
    Ryder James 1/21/13

He's refusing milk and water now :-(. Hope this is just a settling in period? X

Sorry mama, that sounds very stressful! Can you mix the breastmilk with some of his solids? For example, make oatmeal with milk rather than water. Though since your baby is self-feeding, it might be hard for him to eat mushy solids thinned out with breastmilk. :/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Transitions are hard for babies. Keep offering milk, it should be his #1 source of food until 1-year-old, he needs it for proper brain development. I always nurse my babies before feeding any solids until they are over 1-year-old. I would ask the daycare to offer milk first then food in small portions. There is a saying, "food before 1 is just for fun". Good luck Mama!

Thanks everyone. He is still refusing milk and water :-(. He is there 3 days a week from 8-4. The other days he nurses so I just hope he makes up for it the other days? I will advise them to offer the milk before and instead of solids as he's eating all his solids...

I wouldn't worry too much. Ask them to encourage more milk intake, but at that age and only 3 days a week I think it's okay for him to wait for mom. Are you nursing on demand when you are together?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My DD refused to take more than 1-3 oz when we first started day care when she was 6mn. She hadn't refused a bottle before starting day care, but I had mostly nursed her. Our lactation consultant suggested putting only 1 oz in each bottle and giving a bottle every hour. Also, try having them give a bottle while he is standing up or looking outside ( not in a traditional nursing position). Also, I had to tell DD's daycare not to shake her bottles. After a week of doing that, DD started taking a full bottle. Hope that helps.