Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No period....when should I be concerned?

Default No period....when should I be concerned?

My DD is almost 15 months and she hasn't nursed in a day or so and even then it was just at bedtime and there wasn't much there. The thing is I haven't had a return of a period. With my first, it came back at 11 months and I understand each pregnancy is different. I'm hoping with the complete cessation of nursing it will return because we are hoping to start trying again for another baby in the late spring/ summer. I'm also gonna be 36 in April and I'm feeling like I'm gonna run out of time....anyone with a similar experience?

Default Re: No period....when should I be concerned?

The average time until return of fertility in a nursing mom is around 15.5 months. So I think you can relax for a while. If your cycle isn't back within a month or two of weaning, though, it's probably time to contact your doctor.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with me return of period was first baby 18 months, second baby 2 years. 3rd baby 17 months and counting. Period came back long before weaning with first two.

Statistically, at age 36 you have tons of time.

My cycles resumed just before DS turned 2. However, we were/are still nursing quite a bit (then, up to 8 times a day, now about 6 times per day) so I'm sure that had something to do with why it took that long. If you wean now, your period should return in the next several months. If it doesn't, you should talk to your doctor. I understand feeling the pressure about your age. I already worry about that, though I'm only 32 (I will probably be 34 before we TTC again, though). However, according to my OB, if you have "proven fertility" (at least one successful previous pregnancy) it's rare to see age-related fertility problems until you are approaching 40. He laughed that I was worried about being 34 and TTC again. There was also this excellent article in the Atlantic recently, about fertility and age. I found it quite reassuring; hopefully you will too! It talked about a study of 38-39 year old women who had already had at least one baby; 80% were pregnant again within 6 months of TTC. So, the decline of fertility with age may be somewhat exaggerated. We should probably start worrying around 38-40, rather than around 35.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...a-baby/309374/
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

Well, here I am, 39 in a couple of weeks, 18 months pp, and no period. Although I do have some concerns about how long I'm waiting to ttc #2, you know why I'm not concerned about my period not returning? I went to see my gyno at about 14-15 months and got a full blood test and urine test done to rule out anything else (hormonal maybe) that could be the culprit. At least this way I know it's the bfing
    Gyno also told me that nightnursing has the most impact on estrogen levels, and those are what keeps aunt flo away. Right now we generally go min 8 hours without nursing overnight, but still nada! I wish I was 30 and had the luxury of spacing my babies out naturally without stressing about getting old!
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.

Well not sure to feel relieved or what. My daughter is nursing again about once a day, but I think it's more for comfort. Will that effect whether I get my period or not? I never knew this could even happen. I guess I will post back when it returns. I just had a visit with my doc because I was feeling so exhausted (I was also getting one heck of a cold), but I was getting nauseated too. I did a pregnancy test and it was negative, just to make sure. There always something new I learn in this whole breastfeeding journey.....