Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: biting, blistering, searing pain

Default biting, blistering, searing pain

My EBF 6 month old started biting me only at night last week. He was also crying a lot and refusing the breast so I thought perhaps my supply was low. I was exercising a lot and not drinking much water. I boosted my water intake and have been taking fenugreek for 5 days and he seems more satisfied. the problem is now I have an extremely painful red raised area, looks kind of like a fever blister actually, in the spot where his teeth got me (he has 2 bottom teeth) this little spot is growing more painful by the day and it's now toe-curling painful to nurse him on that side. I don't know if it's related to the bite? Or a weird coincidence? Or if the bite got a little infected? It hurts so bad and I'm already concerned about keeping my supply up so I and hesitate to only nurse on the good side while the bad side heals, but that's what I want to do since it kills so much. It's weeping a little bit, too, leaving little spots on my bra.

Any idea what is going on and how I can get healed up?

thanks!
    Homebirthing, , , , often , CDing and SLTAs! (Still Learning The Acronyms)

Default Re: biting, blistering, searing pain

This sounds like it could be an infected bite. I would try air drying after nursing, followed by application of a mix of Bacitracin antibiotic ointment and 1% hydrocortisone cream (use pea sized amount, mixed and applied using a clean finger). Salt water rinses would probably also be helpful, and it would definitely be a good idea to vary your nursing position so that baby's teeth land somewhere else.

If it gets worse, see your doctor.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"