Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping nightmare

Default Pumping nightmare

My son is 7 weeks old and we have been lucky to have had a great breastfeeding experience so far. However, I have continually tried pumping with my Medela Pump in Style Advance pump and it has been very frustrating. When I pump I can barely get anything out. I have tried different shield sizes and nothing seems to work. I do notice that even with the small size shield a lot of my breast tissue is sucked in. I am at a loss on what to do, because I need to build up breast milk reserves for when I go back to work. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Pumping nightmare

Your best bet may be to meet with a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, who can properly size the flanges for you, and may have different types of pumps available that you can try. It sounds like even the small size may be too big from what you describe, but a LC may have access to some additional sizes or may have a different type of pump with smaller sized flanges.

Try pumping one breast while the baby is nursing on the other.

Have you tried changing to a different brand? Or maybe you just have to see an LC.