Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New with some questions.

Question New with some questions.

Hi,
    I am totally new to, well, everything. I just had my first child Nov 16th and breastfeeding is going well. He is a very sleepy baby and sleeps most of the day and mostly night. He is hard to wake up, even with a sponge bath and changing of the diaper. Here lately he wakes up around 9pm and won't go back to sleep until 1 or sometimes even 3 am. All he wants to do is eat or suck on me for over an hour. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. It is very draining on me. I try to wake him for a little while during the day, but it doesn't always work and he is completely out. Thanks!

Default Re: New with some questions.

Congratulations!!! I'm glad to hear everything is going well with BFing. guess what? What you are describing is a totally normal textbook newborn!
    Newborns can sleep anywhere from 18-20 hours a day! And unfortunately for us mommies, they usually have their wakey time in the midnight hours!
    They have very tiny tummies, and breast milk is so easily digested that they sometimes seem to want to eat constantly...there are growth spurts at around 3 weeks and 6 weeks that lead to continuous feeding, and most babies go through periods of cluster feeding...where they will nurse every hour or so.
    How is his weight gain and diaper output? He should be feeding 10-12 times in a 24 hour period at this age. Not just for his weight gain, but also to bring your milk supply up. You might try bfing with his clothes off...sometimes that keeps them awake longer...tickle his feet and blow on his face if he starts dozing off at the breast. I'm sure others will chime in with some helpful advise...try your best to sleep when he sleeps...the housework isn't going anywhere...and just remember that as he gets older and bigger he will start waking more in the day and sleeping more at night.
    Welcome to the forums!!

Smile Re: New with some questions.

Thanks! His eating is great, he eats around 12 times a day and has BMs just as much sometimes! He seems to be gaining weight, we have our check up this week. He is a big boy! I know he is getting enough to eat since his movements look good and he is wetting his diaper well. Yeah, he does like to be dressed, so i just leave him in his diaper during the day, and sometimes it helps. Heck, i even put a cool was cloth on his feet to try and wake him, and it didn't phase him at all. But what doesn't work today may work tomorrow. Thank you for the reply! Sometimes new moms just need to hear that everything is ok from an outside source!
    Last edited by JessaBriann; November 27th, 2006 at 09:24 PM.

Yep, your little one is likely going through his first growth spurt, too, which can be extremely draining! With my youngest, my husband was all ready to throw in the towel with breastfeeding, because my son was eating every hour for 2 days!

Keep up the good work. Sounds like you're doing a great job as a new mom, and giving your son the very best start!

Lisa

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I understand what you going through, at least you have the bfeeding part down. I had my dd on the 17th and she definately has her days and nights mixed up. She will sleep well during the day which is when I get most of my sleep b/c if I didn't I would be totally exhausted. The big thing is sleep when she does during the day, I understand that you may have some cleaning to do or some clothes to wash. That can wait, because I had a nurse tell me if mommie doesn't get any rest then it can diminish your milk supply. Keep it up, I look at it as a learning experience for the both of us!!!!

More reassurance - for newborns having day / night confusion (being asleep during the day & awake at night) is very common. For us the first couple weeks were like this (which wasn't too suprising considering LO had been VERY active at night before he was born). I think we made effrots to try and keep him awake a little more during the day and eventually he figured out day / night after a couple of weeks. It was totally exhausting for the first couple weeks so echo other's posts about sleeping as much as possible whenever the baby sleeps. Housework and other stuff can wait!

Congrats on your new LO!!!

I agree with the pp's. Your LO will be so sleepy for the first few weeks. But don't worry - it will get better quickly. My LO slept all day for the first three weeks and sometimes she still has a few days like that (she's almost 7 weeks now). But she is much more awake during the day now and is sleeping better at night. It just takes a little time for them to be more wakeful.

Also, growth spurts will definitely be draining on you, but they generally last a few days to a week or so. If your LO is going through that now, be assured that there's an end in sight (for now ) until the next growth spurt.

Keep it up & good luck. You will sleep better again soon...