Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Having regrets! Can I get my milk to come back?

Default Having regrets! Can I get my milk to come back?

Since returning to work 5 months ago (my daughter is 8 months), I have only been able to produce enough to feed her 1/2 breastmilk, 1/2 formula. My supply has dwindled considerably and I've stopped pumping after not getting any milk while pumping. It's been 5 days since I got any milk at all (3 oz) and I really want to try to get an ample supply back. Is it too late? How long does it take to completely dry up? I know what I need to do to get a healthy supply back, but I'm concerned it's been too long. Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks!!

Default Re: Having regrets! Can I get my milk to come back?

It's never too late to in erase milk production. Milk is produced on a supply = demand basis, so if you want to make more milk, the best thing you can do is to demand more from your body. Some things to try:
    - nurse more
    - pump more, including pumping after nursing when you are home with your baby
    - use a better pump (hospital-grade rental is ideal, a good double electric like the Medela Pump in Style or Hygeia Enjoye is your second choice. Whatever you use, the pump should be in excellent working conduction and should be used with correctly sized breast shields)
    - combine hand expression with pumping
    - try different sizes of breast shields- it's common for moms to eventually require a different size
    - try herbal remedies for increasing supply, especially fenugreek and oatmeal

Your question about how long it takes to completely dry up is impossible to answer because every woman is going to be different. but many women continue to produce a small amount of milk for months or even as much as a year past total weaning.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much Queen I really appreciate your response. I pumped today at work at got 1.5oz between both breasts, which calmed my fear that I wasn't producing any. Now, I just need to work on increasing my volume and your tips will be really helpful. Thanks again!!