Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At work and Pump not working

Default At work and Pump not working

I went to pump and my pump isn't working. When I looked at the parts I noticed the membrane was tore. I ended up hand expressing (which I really need to practice) but I was only able to express 3 onces and I normally express 5 or six. Is this going to hurt my supply since I wasn't able to remove more milk. I am going at lunch to get new membranes.

Default Re: At work and Pump not working

I think you'll be fine. One slightly less productive session is not going to have any lasting effect. 3 ounces by hand expression is great! You might have to throw in an extra pump session later today to make up those other 2-3 oz if you need them for baby's bottles tomorrow, but otherwise don't sweat it.

Not sure how old your membranes were, but I would replace my membranes every 3 mos just as a precaution. They do start to wear out after that much use. And maybe you can keep an extra one in your pump bag for just-in-case for the future.

A single day of less stimulation/milk removal probably won't result in a big decrease. If you do see a decline, add in some more pump sessions until you get yourself back to where you want to be.

5-6 oz of yield at a time is actually quite a large amount of milk, and is greater than the typical output. So don't expect milk to be this easy to come by forever. I mean, it might be, but you probably shouldn't expect it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

agree with pp. you should be fine. Quick thinking btw.

Yeah these were actually new membranes so I don't know what happened. I'm getting ready to go to lunch. I normally go nurse my baby at lunch so after I nurse him I'm going to get new membranes. Thanks for the response. Nursing is going so good this time around I don't want to anything to mess it up. So I tend to freak out if I think I've done something wrong.

You should be fine! I have an extremely sensitive supply, and probably a low storage capacity, and even under those constraints the occasional days that I had a pumping issue never led to a permanent change in my output.

I would second the suggestion to keep an extra set of membranes with you! They are delicate, and sometimes can warp in ways that make them non-functional even when you can't see a problem with your naked eye. I even know some moms who accidentally lost theirs down the sink when washing parts during the work day. They aren't too expensive, so I usually keep some extras in my bag at all times!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!