Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 month old wakes up to 8 times a night - trapped wind?

Default Re: 5 month old wakes up to 8 times a night - trapped wind?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    I will freely admit I have a general disdain for "the books," as most of the sleeping "guides" out there aren't based on science or facts, but are rather designed to sell many copies and provide parents with a quick fix. Very few of them acknowledge that there is a range of what is considered normal infant sleeping behavior, because I don't think that bit of information would sell very many books at all! If your baby seems happy, alert, and healthy most of the time, then I would suggest she is probably getting the sleep that her own unique little self needs.
    Amen!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

http://evolutionaryparenting.com/nor...-sleep-part-i/
    Ditto what sonogirl said. I also have a high needs child and my life would have been absolute hell had i tried to achieve the parenting books' normal. I never expected his sleep pattern to stay stable. It changed every few weeks depending on teeth, illness, and developmental milestones. I think he did have a wiggly phase around 4-5 right before he started crawling. He had a great patch at 8 months with a 12 hour sleep once! Verbal milestones from 12-18 months caused the worst night waking. I did find early on that ds is sensitive to his sleep environment. He gets hot easily and dislikes wearing clothes. I remember him waking every 20 minutes to nurse one night until I realized he still had his socks on. Took those off and he slept for a few hours. I enjoyed Dr Sears' The Baby Sleep Book as it doesn't promote a one size fits all solution.

Thanks girls!
    I guess it's no so much the frequent waking but the fact that LO acts like something is bothering her - she's grunting and pulling her legs up and takes a while to settle.
    I gave her a bit of paracetamol the last two nights and it didn't improve things, so maybe it's not teething?
    Will ask the doctor to check her ears tomorrow as she continues to scratch the sides of her head/her ears.

Okay, good luck!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

I just posted a new thread similar to this as our baby as been waking more and more regularly with what seems like wind thrashing since he was about 7 weeks- he's now 4 months and we're waking on average 5 times a night. We also co-sleep, which started out brilliantly for night feeds, but now he won't latch on easily. He's fussy feeding in the day now too- may the 'four month fussies'?. butt that doesn't explain the nights.

I'm feeling your pain as well. Really trying to decide what his needs are and what we r making habits.

Sometimes feeling like I'm creating a monster at night. And other times feeling like the best mom in the world for making it through another night of every hour wakings. Baby boy, born aug/2013 ebf.

Your baby 's need to nurse at night is very real. Check the link above and this one http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleep/ for a realistic look at infant/toddler/preschooler sleep. It's hard to maintain faith that your child will outgrow night waking when society has such a fear based parenting culture. Do what you can to facilitate sleep for your whole family: teething remedies, limit tv and other stimulating activities in the evenings, a simple bedtime routine with young babies, nap with baby when possible, go to sleep at the same time as baby, experiment with room temperature/baby's pajamas/white noise or fan. And then trust your baby to know what they need.