Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful Nipple

Default Painful Nipple

I went to the doc a week ago with a nipple that looked cracked, and areola that was red and shinny. The doc there was not sure what it was, but got me some cream for thrush. I did have a yeast infection a few weeks ago, if that counts for anything. Now it looks less red all over, but there still is a "cut" at the base of the nipple. It is still painful to nurse from this side, it also hurts when anything rubs on it. I am almost out of cream and I don't really want to go back (no insurance, and right after holidays). Do you think it could be something else?

Default Re: Painful Nipple

It's just on one side? Could it be an injury-did baby bite or something? A bleb or friction blister? Kellymom explains the difference on her website.

If it IS thrush, there are otc things to try. Google Jack newman Candida protocol for several options. But my other thought is it might be a bacterial infection & I think you will have to have a culture done to rule that out...sorry!

I suggest try different positions for the pain. WhenI had a bad bite injury I lay almost flat and brought baby over my shoulder in order to essentially reverse her mouth position. It really helped.

Something simple that seems to help healing in general is coconut oil.

Catherine Watson Genna suggests washing with soap and water for injured nipples. See her website for more, look in the clinical corner section for the article "nipple Hygiene"

Just reading this might help me with my problem. It sounds like an injury, such as I have. I think the most important thing is to give it time to heal so switching positions, applying coco oil, etc.
    What other symptoms did you have that seemed like thrush or a BI?
    We , , , and with my little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

Thanks guys! It may just be a injury, only one side hurts. I don't remember her biting, but she does sometimes tug at the breast when the flow is not what she wants. The nipple now looks flakey like dry skin. Also It only hurts while she is nursing now (which is a step in the right direction), but the pain is really deep inside the breast. It doesn't matter how she is latched it hurts. Kind of strange. I think the only reason the doc suggested thrush, is because "she knew is wasn't mastitis". Really? Me too

After reading Kellymom I don't think is thrush. How long would it normally take to heal if it was an injury?

Flaky, dry-looking skin is a very common symptom of thrush. And deep breast pain is also very thrush-y.

You said the doc gave you a cream for yeast. Was the baby treated as well?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"