Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can a comfortable latch still be "bad?"

Default Can a comfortable latch still be "bad?"

I'm curious since my 3 week old LO has only gained an average of .7 oz per day in the past 14 days (same scale & conditions). His dirty diaper output is also lower than I'm comfortable with. So I'm trying to problem solve... I didn't think his latch was a problem because it's not painful and it looks fairly deep...I also see him swallowing...but now I'm starting to second guess. I'm going to try to meet with an ibclc (there wasn't one on staff @ my hospital). Also ordering a brand new pump today.
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Default Re: Can a comfortable latch still be "bad?"

the simplified answer is yes, if in fact baby is unable to transfer milk efficiently then that may mean a not great latch even if it looks good and is comfortable. But there is more to sucking skills than latch. If you are concerend that intake is low, I think seeing an IBCLC is a good idea. I always suggest, call a few to chat briefly to hopefully find one you feel most comfortable with, and look at the website for Catherine Watson Genna for her article on what to expect at an appt with an IBCLC. It's in the 'clinical corner' section.

Thanks Meg. Got an appointment this afternoon with my favorite LC I'd met with when my older son was little. Now I'm trying to choose a pump (which I just found out is covered by my insurance). What personal pump would you recommend I purchase? I know a hospital grade rental would also be good...working on it.
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

i don't recommend specific pumps, its just too individual and it depends why you are pumping as well. Assuming you are allowed to get ANY pump, (insurance varies on this point) I would suggest seeing if you could use the money toward RENTING a rental grade for a couple of months, if the primary reason for pumping is to maximize milk production even if baby is not nursing well. Personal use pumps are all designed for mothers with an established, normal milk production who need to pump at most 3 times a day due to being back at work. It does not mean they cannot be used for another purpose, but thier focus of design is to be portable, convenient and effective for the working mother.

LLL has a partnership wiht the Hygeia pump company, they make both hospital grade and personal grade. these are good pumps and are somewhat unique in that the company adheres to the WHO code for marketing infant feeding products and even their personal use pump is multi user, which means it can be passed on to another mother. (Rather than going to a landfill like most personal use pumps are single user.) But these points do not mean they are the best pumps for your personal circumstance. If you hunt around online you can find websites where mothers give reviews, and some appear independent. But you are going to see many more reviews for medelas and the other big company-I forget the name.

If your baby has milk transfer issues you should look into renting a hospital grade pump. I had this problem with my singleton and also with my twins. I hope your LC appt goes well. You may get insurance to cover rental and a personal use pump if you hve medical necessity and an Rx from your MD (under your name, not baby's, my OB wrote me one bc my twins were premature which is a medical necessity condition).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thanks again. So, I now have in my possession a brand new hospital grade Hygeia pump (the "EnDear") and tried to pump as often as I could today when my son wasn't already nursing. I stopped pumping in the late afternoon because that's when he needs to be held & nursed pretty much nonstop until I attempt bedtime.

The LC gave me a lot of much needed reassurance (she thought the latch was fine, & she isn't too concerned about his weight gain), but she did encourage me to do what I can to increase my supply (hence the hospital grade pump).

So even though baby's weight gain is at the low end of normal (8 ounces in 14 days), his dirty diaper output is sporadic, which makes it hard for me to tell if he's "getting enough milk." The reason I posted this in the first place was because he hadnt pooped in over 24 hours (but he has lots of wets)...and finally at almost 48 hours since the previous poop, today he unloaded the biggest stool of his life to date...it completely filled his size 1 diaper - up the front, out the back, and pooled in the middle. It was loose and yellowish And later in the day he had another larger than average dirty diaper.

So my game plan is to nurse on demand & continue frequent pump sessions while watching baby's weight closely. And I'm going to keep in touch with the LC.

It's nice to be able to sort out my thoughts in writing. .. Thanks again ladies.
    :