Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: antibiotics + 2-3 nights away = supply dip

Default antibiotics + 2-3 nights away = supply dip

Hello Mamas & happy holidays.

It's been a rough week for us: strep for me and an ear infection for the 20 month old. I've gone 15 years without antibiotics. She made it 20 months. But these illnesses were just too big to go untreated.

The timing, though, is horrible. I must, starting on the 2nd, leave her overnight for the first time ever. I can't cancel the trip & I can't take her with me (conference, giving paper, meeting with book editor).

I wasn't worried about her 2 nights with grandma (I'll be back on the 3rd night but after bedtime) or my supply until we started taking antibiotics. Is my supply more compromised by the separation now that I'm on antibiotics?

She still nurses frequently, more so now that she's sick, but I don't know how much she takes in as she's quite good and happy with solids. Nursing is a comfort, calm down, connect with mama thing. Neither of us would want that to end. (I should also add that she is on the mend. I wouldn't leave if she was too sick and miserable so please no guilt )

Should I find a cheap pump to take with me. Am worried that hand expression won't be enough.

Thanks & happy New Year to all!
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Default Re: antibiotics + 2-3 nights away = supply dip

Antibiotics typically do not have a negative impact on supply. Being sick is much more likely to cause a problem- you can get dehydrated, your body puts more energy into surviving and fighting the illness and less into milk, if you're really sick you might not nurse or pump the way you need to.

I think a pump is always a good idea when there's a separation of >24 hours. With a toddler, I think that maintaining supply is less of a priority than avoiding engorgement or plugged ducts. But I wouldn't want you to run out and buy a cheap pump, only to discover that it doesn't do the job. Do you have an electric pump that you could take with you?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think a pump is always a good idea when there's a separation of >24 hours. With a toddler, I think that maintaining supply is less of a priority than avoiding engorgement or plugged ducts.
    Yes and yes! A public service announcement: bring a pump!

I only wrote after we had taken her to Nana's and I didn't have a pump. I'm never engorged at home, she's fantastic with solids, and I was under the impression she wasn't taking in that much milk. WRONG! After 24 painful hours I hand expressed nearly 20 ounces in the shower. I was so plugged that I begged DH to help out. I assure you, it was very unsexy.

Lesson: never under estimate how much a toddler takes in! At this stage, let downs, firmness, & etc don't matter. Comfort nursing is still nursing. Our toddlers can drink!

Thanks Mommal for the advice. Just wish I had asked sooner!
    Last edited by @llli*vivsmaman; January 6th, 2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Yikes, 20 oz?!!! I guess now you know how an overfull water balloon feels...

Kudos to your DH if he manned up and helped you out!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"