Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO keeps unlatching

Default LO keeps unlatching

Few days ago I posted about my heavy letdown, well LO got used to the fast flow of milk and loves it.
    Since one week ago my flow settled and is normal again slower, but LO hates it, he keeps unlatching every 5 seconds, pulls my nipple till the milk seems to be a little quicker he calms down (which only lasts like 2 minutes) then when the flow gets slow again he gets fussy, angry, cries, unlatch,etc.
    What can I do, he doesn't even seem to be trying to suck that much when the flow is slow.
    Please help I really want to continue nursing
    And he has being having good diapers count and weight gain.
    Thank you
    LO is 10 weeks
    Last edited by @llli*happyftm; December 30th, 2013 at 03:59 PM.

Default Re: LO keeps unlatching

The best thing to do right now is to put up with the fussy nursing behavior and to continue to nurse on demand. Let your baby learn how to deal with this new flow situation, let him learn how to control the flow all by himself. I know it's tempting to try to manage this kind of behavior by making things easier for the baby- a lot of moms in your situation do things like trying to increase supply and flow speed using the pump, or supplementing when the baby gets fussy- but that only reinforces the baby's Goldilocks approach to nursing. Don't teach the baby that fussiness will be rewarded by mom making things "just right" for him. Let him experience and overcome the frustration.

If you're concerned about the baby's milk intake, keep an eye on his diaper output. As long as that continues to be normal, he 'so getting enugh to eat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank u so much
    I noticed same amount of poppy diapers but the portion of poop is smaller ... I don't know if i was overfeeding before, because he used to spit up a lot after feedings, and now hasn't happened just saliva hour after feeding
    Ps. Also my breasts feel super soft empty like, but i read that it is normal at this point because my milk adjusted to baby's needs.

Let me tell u that the sdvice u gave me will help me for life in every other situations with my baby about letting them overcome frustation and to not reward that behavior