Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping longer at night: how does that effect # of feedings

Default Sleeping longer at night: how does that effect # of feedings

(So many posts from me today...but it seems better to ask different questions in different threads...sorry for the clutter on the board).

As baby starts to sleep a little longer over night (one 3.5 hour stretch last night. Hallelujah!), does she maintain at least 8 feedings a day? At some point does that drop, or not until they start eating solids? Or do they get more efficient in draining the breast and therefore need fewer feedings while still EBFing?

Default Re: Sleeping longer at night: how does that effect # of feed

Maybe, Sometimes, Maybe but maybe not, typically but not always.

Sorry I am having a little fun with your questions. Not because they are not good & common questions, they are. It's just that there are no good or common answers! I guess the answer I would give is that every baby is different in how, when, and how much they start to nurse 'less' and many will nurse 'less' for a while and then nurse 'more' and then less again etc. And many babies continue to nurse just as much long after starting solids as they did before. And of course how many times a baby nurses and how frequent the sessions are will vary day to day as well.

Unless there is some particular issue going on with low or over production, the best course of action is to simply continue to nurse baby on cue. It never hurts to offer either. When you are ready to start solids, there are many tips for doing so in a way that will not interfere with baby nursing often enough to continue to get most calories from breastmilk as is recommended for at least the first year.

I see...poke fun at the new girl

I'm still not 100% comfortable with following her cues because of our rough start. But she's doing well now so I should just relax. And stop keeping copious notes because too much data is not good for my scientist-brain!

Thanks for your patient replies, btw!

And stop keeping copious notes because too much data is not good for my scientist-brain!
    A few years after I had my oldest I stumbled on his 'nursing log.' I had noted the time of every single nursing session, how many minutes he nursed on each side, and the time and SIZE of every pee and poop-not only for the first 6 weeks when we were having some troubles-that I expected. But I had blocked out that I actually kept this meticulous log every single day for the entire first 6 months. Almost 7!

What's awful is I never noted the date when he said his first word, took a step, or any of that stuff. I guess I wore myself out with that log.