Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can there really be an imbalance not related to oversupply?

Default Can there really be an imbalance not related to oversupply?

I have a 1 month old baby who I am ebf. He has been having green, frothy, mucousy, and blood speckled poop for about 2 weeks. Before that, poop was normal-yellow and seedy.
    I am baffled as to what it is. Everyone tells me not to worry about it, but I just want everything to be normal. I am still on the fence as to whether it is an imbalance issue or a dairy protein sensitivity..or some type of sensitivity. A lot of people say they hate how everyone talks about imbalance issues and its basically BS.

Quick facts
    -Baby was 6 lb 6 oz at birth and currently at 5 weeks weighs 9 lb 1 oz.
    -He breastfeeds pretty frequently and usually poops right after. He also has many wet diapers a day...too many to count! But he does not ever choke or pull off the breast. In fact after he empties it he cries while still latched because I am guessing he wants more and does not feel full.
    -I went to see a LC who told me that I probably have an undersupply issue based on the fact that at 1 feeding he took in 3 oz. Everyone who I have shared this with says that is a perfect amt and does not indicate a supply issue.
    -I took him to pedi..to make a long story short they said it sounds like the protein sensitivity and to cut out all dairy for at least 2 weeks.
    -I have been dairy and soy-free for a week and 2 days and he is still having green mucuosy and frothy poop, but I have not seen any blood in the past 2 days.

I was just wondering, can there really be a hindmilk imbalance based on myself and not on an oversupply? I only ask because the last time I had labs drawn my triglycerides were 13!! Which is extremely low. I believe the norm is less than 150 mg/dL..and most people's levels are at least 50.

I am so bothered by the poop issue even though everyone says I shouldn't be. I just wonder if my body just does not store enough fats?? I heard that a true imbalance unrelated to oversupply is extremely rare. I know baby is generally happy (sometimes gassy and fussy) and otherwise thriving. But I just wish I didn't have more issues to think about. Because then I think, well what if it isn't dairy, but an allergy to something else like corn or wheat? I am like scared to eat anything, I am so paranoid =[
    I know I am obsessing over this but it truly bothers me and I can't make it not bother me no matter how hard I try.

Default Re: Can there really be an imbalance not related to oversupp

Hi viblasi. Welcome and thanks for joining the forum. Congrats on new baby! First I want to make sure you are not encouraging baby to nurse both sides at once each time, or timing (limiting) time at the breast, or scheduling or 'delaying' nursing sessions. These practices may increase the amount of lactose baby gets even if there is no overproduction. Usually best if baby is fed on cue, frequently, and allowed to nurse one side at a time if baby prefers.

Now to your question- I don't know of a definitive answer to your central question-whether there can be an issue with foremilk/hindmilk unrelated to milk production. I just do not think it has been studied with any accuracy.

I do have some thoughts though.

Your baby has been gaining normally. even quickly. So that suggests your baby is getting plenty of fat & everything else baby needs from your milk.
    Could it be that baby takes in a more than the average amount of lactose in order to get 'enough' milk overall? Maybe. Could that be what is causing the green and blood in poops and other symptoms? maybe.
    But that does not mean anything is wrong. In fact, if the issue is too much lactose, that will almost certainly correct over time. Meanwhile, it is not as if your milk is not still by far the healthiest thing your baby can be eating. It is.

As far as allergies go, it is the same story in a way. Yes you will probably want to figure out if it is something you are eating that causes the bloody stool. But even if there is an allergen in it, your milk is STILL by far the healthiest thing your baby can possibly eat! I will link a protocol about allergy in the breastfed infant that includes info on how to systematically eliminate one food or food group at a time (Or how to keep a food diary) so you do not end up starving while you figure this out.

As to what you have been told-
    I went to see a LC who told me that I probably have an undersupply issue based on the fact that at 1 feeding he took in 3 oz. Everyone who I have shared this with says that is a perfect amt and does not indicate a supply issue.
    If a practicing, professional (paid for services, not a volunteer) lactation consultant told you a baby taking in 3 ounces at one feeding, esp a baby who is gaining tremendously well, meant you had LOW production, imo this is nothing short of malpractice. If she is board certified, she can be reported to the certifying board. If she is not, she probably does not have the training to be seeing mothers on a one on one basis and 'diagnosing' issues. If she works for someone else, you can complain to them. In any case, I would suggest, check back with her and make sure there was no misunderstanding. Seriously, I hope this was a misunderstanding. But if it was not, this is a serious issue. If this was a LLL Leader or some other type of volunteer peer counselor, let me know.

I took him to pedi..to make a long story short they said it sounds like the protein sensitivity and to cut out all dairy for at least 2 weeks.
    doctors tend to pull the trigger on eliminations for mom really quickly, but in this case i think this was a reasonable suggestion.
    I have been dairy and soy-free for a week and 2 days and he is still having green mucuosy and frothy poop, but I have not seen any blood in the past 2 days.
    It's too early to draw conclusions, but if you continue to see no blood then I think you may have found the culprit. Even if the green poops are not related to the dairy. To test it, you could continue the elimination of dairy and soy a few more weeks and then drink a large glass of milk, eat a yogurt, whatever- and see what happens. You can repeat this as much as you like, babies will sometimes outgrow a sensitivity, plus sometimes symptoms coming and going are just coincidence. Since the sensitivity has not caused any weight gain issues or signs of some severe reaction, I think you can test periodically if dairy elimination is a hardship for you. Also some moms find they can eat yogurt and cheese but not milk, cream or icecream.
    He breastfeeds pretty frequently and usually poops right after. He also has many wet diapers a day...too many to count! But he does not ever choke or pull off the breast. In fact after he empties it he cries while still latched because I am guessing he wants more and does not feel full.
    This all sounds healthy and normal to me. Baby wishing to nurse again and again in short succession is entirely normal in the newborn period. As are long feedings, short, very frequent feedings etc. As far as crying while still latched that could be many things, most not a concern. Your breast may feel empty but it never truly is. At such a time you can encourage baby to nurse on that side more, switch sides, or take baby off and comfort another way for a bit.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 28th, 2013 at 12:24 PM.

allergies in breastfed baby http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

iblce (International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners) disciplinary procedures http://iblce.org/resources/disciplinary-procedures/

Hi, thank you for the reply.
    First off, I am not doing anything you mentioned as far as timing/limiting feedings, or encouraging both breasts. I actually put him on one side, wait till he finishes or falls asleep, burp him, then put him back on the same side. Then I offer the other side, which he always takes and I repeat the same process. I let him nurse on demand, as frequently as he wants, and I allow him to comfort suck as well as fall asleep at night nursing. He just loves to nurse and it is one of the most comforting things to him. He always "empties" (I know they are never really "empty") both sides. My breasts will feel very soft after a feeding. Oh and btw, they are never super engorged to the point of discomfort or anything, but they will feel much fuller if he goes 2-3 hrs between feedings.

If a practicing, professional (paid for services, not a volunteer) lactation consultant told you a baby taking in 3 ounces at one feeding, esp a baby who is gaining tremendously well, meant you had LOW production, imo this is nothing short of malpractice....Seriously, I hope this was a misunderstanding.
    Yes, this was a definite LC, paid, employed at the hospital I delivered at that is a specialty hospital for delivering babies and neonatal care. She definitely implied that I have an undersupply issue and sent me home with instructions to pump once in the morning and try to pump at least 2 more times throughout the day to build up my supply. Don't worry..I have not been doing this at all. It is hard enough nursing full time as it is...it is impossible for me to pump right now, and if I do, baby just gets mad bc he nurses so frequently. If I pump and then he wants to nurse soon after, he literally gets pissed bc there is not enough left in me to satisfy him. It just throws off our routine. Besides, won't our frequent nursing sessions build up my supply (if needed) better than a pump anyways??

As far as the dairy issue, I do not mind staying dairy free for now to see if it helps. I am kind of used to it now so I will stick it out longer to see if it truly helps. I did see 2 very tiny specks of blood today in 1 diaper earlier, but it is still much less than what it was. If that doesn't seem to help there is a pedi GI clinic at my local children's hospital that I was referred to by the warm line at the hospital I delivered at. If it does not clear up within the next couple of weeks than I may make an appt.

Thanks for the link for the elim protocol. I actually saw that the other day, but I will reread bc I skimmed it quickly. Oh and also, I started keeping a food diary yesterday, and I also added a baby poop diary in the side margins. lol.
    I know, I'm nuts.

Also, I am glad you clarified that it is still the best thing for him. Sometimes I feel bad about the blood in his stool. I feel like what I am giving him is hurting his little intestines =[