Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Same weight for months

Default Same weight for months

I'm really trying not to panic but I can't help it. My 6 month old hasn't gained much weight wince two months old. He was born at 8lb 9oz and by two months had grown two inches and was at 12lb4oz. At 4 mo old he was 12lb 6 oz...( grew two more inches) And now he's 13lb at 6 months. He's ebf and I pump when I'm at work. He eats 3oz every two hours when I'm away and nurses with me frequently (. And a few extended times overnight) . I'm freaking out. His dr appt is Friday and last appt the dr said he won't be worried unless he doesn't gain again, which clearly he hasn't much. What could be wrong? Everyone is saying he'd gain if I stared solids but I wanted to delay them....ugh. He's having great output diapers and hasn't been sick at all. He's also being weighed on the same scale in just a diaper so I know that's accurate. Any ideas?
    Last edited by @llli*ravenlogan; December 28th, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
    Mom to Raven [3/24/06] & Logan [ 1/10/11 ] [ while working ] and going strong

Default Re: Same weight for months

12lb4oz. At 4 mo old he was 12lb 6 oz...( grew two more inches) And now he's 13lb at 6 months.
    so after growing normally up until 2 months, baby gained 2 ounces from month 2 to 4?
    Then baby gained 10 ounces from month 4 to 6?

So, at a time that gain typically slows (Gain typically slows after ~ 3 months and then slows again after ~6 months) your baby gained more rapidly. 5 times as rapidly according to the scale. Unfortunately, of course this is still very very slow gain.
    Was there any intervention after the 4 month- any tests to rule out allergy or some other underlying medical issue? , see a lactation consultant, measure intake per session???

When you say great output what do you mean? How often does baby poop and what do they look like?
    Solids would only help if 1) The issue is baby is not getting enough milk, and thus solids increase the AMOUNT of food baby gets, the volume. This is because breastmilk has a good amount of calories and fat ounce per ounce, much more or at least as much as most solids. OR, they will help if the issue is a nutritional deficiency-a deficiency of iron or B12 or something else that can affect appetite or weight gain, and the solids given are enough and the right kind to correct this issue. I do not know how else they would help, but certainly there is no harm to offering solids to a 6 month old as long as their introduction does not reduce the amount of breastmilk your baby gets.

Did this dramatic drop in gain start before or after baby started in daycare? Do you trust that baby is being fed properly at the daycare? EDIT whoops you did not say baby was in daycare. So my question is do you trust whoever is caring for baby is giving baby your milk in the amount they say and only your milk? for example, I talked to a mom once who found out her mom was watering down the baby's breastmilk, to make the bottle 'bigger."
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 28th, 2013 at 10:28 AM.

Yes, I'm positive he's getting what he should when I'm gone because he stays with my sister here at home and she has access to my frozen supply if she feels some days he wants more. I saw a lactation consultant who said my supply was great and that babies grow at different rates. She said I could try giving him more oz per sitting just to see but when we did that he'd only eat like twice the entire time I was gone. His dr didn't seemed concerned, only that he would be if he didn't gain much with his next appt ( which is when he gained the 10oz). No other studies have been done. As far as output he'll have about ten pee diapers per day and 3-4poop ( that nice watered down BM poo lol ). When you say iron issue, would that be me or him? I used to have anemia but haven't been checked recently. What allergy could he have? What tests do you think they'd do on him ?

Also, he's hitting all his milestones too mad doesn't look or act like he's missing something but I can't help but be worried

ok I have no idea how a baby who is pooping 3 or 4 times a day is not gaining more normally. That is a lot of poop so obviously your baby is getting enough milk. This makes me even more suspicious that there is some underlying issue.

I have to say, I would be worried about that gain too. It is really, really slow. But it truly does not sound as if it is related to baby not getting enough milk. What does your gut tell you? You see your baby every day.

So the iron issue would be him. Low iron can stem from birth, if baby's cord was cut too early as would be typical in many hospital birth scenarios. Basically, baby loses a ton of blood and iron at that point when that happens. Also, if you are very low in iron, that might make your breastmilk low. Breastmilk does not have a ton of iron anyway, but what it has is typically plenty for baby until at least 6-9 months. But sometimes there is a problem.

But my (very limited) understanding is, low iron would cause a poor appetite. And that does not appear to be the problem. I suspect iron levels will probably be part of any blood workup anyway.

As far as allergies, it could be any food based allergy, where the proteins in your milk affect baby. It is not all that common, but allergies should be ruled out when gain is poor in breastfed babies. Usually there are other symptoms- poor sleep, very fussy, blood in stool... the most common culprit is dairy. However, I would NOT suggest any diet eliminations for you given your history of anemia until you have discussed this with your pediatrician and your own doctor.

I have no idea what tests your doctor will suggest. My main concern is you will be told to supplement with formula instead of a medical cause being searched for. And since it sounds as if baby gets plenty of milk, this might only delay figuring out what the real problem is (assuming there is a problem) or mask the problem.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 30th, 2013 at 12:52 AM.

That is exactly what I'm afraid of too as I do NOT want to supplement! He's not fussy...he's an absoutely perfect baby in every way. He's meeting his milestones ( as far as rolling/siting/getting on his hands-knees ) so I don't feel like it's hurting him like one who isn't getting enough nurishment. I know this sounds crazy but since he was born, I've always told my husband I felt like there was something wrong with him and I didn't know why. There is NOTHING seemingly wrong with him for me to think that. He's a perfectly happy boy who looks completely normal in every way ( even his body being only at 13lbs...he just looks petite ). Hubby just told me that it was more then likely because we suffered a miscarriage before him and I was just nervous something would happen. Now I'm getting nervous though.

He doesn't have any of the characteristics of a baby who doesn't get enough milk. He nurses on demand when I'm with him and I have plenty in the freezer if he needs any when I'm not there ( if he is going through a growth spurt ). I just don't get it. But thank you for your input! I just don't even know what to ask for from the DR. uuugggghhh. Am I going to sound like a crazy person if I just say that I feel like something might be wrong? I can't explain why- he eats and acts like any other normal 6 month old so I'd be just saying," because I just feel like there might be" as my reason.
    Last edited by @llli*ravenlogan; December 30th, 2013 at 12:03 PM.

Having a feeling that something is wrong is valid. It's one of the signs of pre-term labor and isn't to be ignored. I realize these are different but I know moms who had a feeling and people brushed them off and it delayed the baby/child getting the attention needed. I would talk to your physician.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I agree with pp. Trust your gut.

If you are not sure how supportive of breastfeeding your pediatrician is, can you possibly see someone else? Is there LLL or someone in your area who can suggest someone? You want someone who will believe you when you say baby is getting enough milk and if there IS something wrong, what and how much baby eats is not the problem. kwim? It sounds crazy but unfortunately this can be hard. Breastfeeding is blamed so readily for so many things, slow gain in particular. It is maddening. In the book My Child Won't Eat, (which I recommend) the author (who is a pediatrician) says that sometimes mothers will lie to their children’s doctors and tell them baby is formula fed in order to get slow gaining breastfed baby tested. Sad.

Maybe there is absolutely nothing wrong. Your baby sounds healthy otherwise, and that has to be a good sign. Some children do gain very slowly and that is their normal. But best to be sure.