Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: WEANING TOO SOON- please help!

Default WEANING TOO SOON- please help!

Hi,
    I need some advice. My daughter and I have been struggling with nursing since about 6 months, and she is 10 months now. She seems to be slowly weaning herself. She just does not take the breast efficiently any longer, especially the left breast. She will latch on but not such much at all. Its seems she only latches to satisfy me. She is now beginning to do the same to the right breast. She also pulls away from the breasts a lot while eating, especially during day time feedings.

I did start solids with her and she started eating, and then slowed, and then started up again. She also does drink water from a sippy cup. I know that I should be offering breastmilk before solids but she just doesn't want it sometimes. My question is, if she doesnt breastfeed at all during the day, should i not be offering any solids, and just wait until she breastfeeds? Also, my supply is getting really low. If I pump an hour after she feeds, and she is not feeding much, I only get like 1/2 an ounce.

I just need some good advice as to what I can do to continue to breastfeed, and for me not to be so consumed by her eating and not eating breastmilk or solids. I feel like this is all I can think about, and not much else is getting done. Oh, also, she is waking at night and I am feeding her a little bit, but she falls back to sleep within minutes. I just dont think she is getting an adequate amount of milk. She is also very low in her weight gain which makes me think its a supply issue. I have tried everythin in the book to increase supply, oatmeal, lactation cookies, milk tea, fenugreek, brewers yeast, pumping. I just need to get through this. Please help!

Default Re: WEANING TOO SOON- please help!

Sorry your baby is giving you such a hard time! These 2 links may be useful:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/babyselfwean/

One thing I think you definitely want to do is to continue to nurse at night, since that is a great way to build positive associations with nursing.

Is your baby at a normal weight but gaining weight slowly, or is she gaining slowly and at a very low weight? Gaining slowly at this age is normal- most babies slow way down as they approach a year. I'd only be concerned if your baby was gaining very slowly and also at the bottom of the charts. If the latter is the case, then if would not try to decrease her access to solid foods, but I would try to be really conscientious about offering the breast before solids. If she takes it, great, if not, no worries.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks I will check out the links.

My LO only has gained 3 1/2 pounds since 3 months old. She was 7 lbs 7 oz at birth and 13 at 3 months, and in the 90th%. She gained really fast in the beginning and then slowed a great deal. She is about 17lbs now and around the 10-15th%. Her pediatrician is a little concerned about my supply. I had to take my LO for blood work but everything came back normal. I have to go for weight checks often. My LO is a very happy, and an active little girl otherwise. Breastfeeding just seems to be our biggest challenge. In the end I just want whats best for her, but I am sad to see our bfing relationship beginning to end more rapidly in the last week. I thought it might be a very long nursing strike but I am not sure thats what it is anymore. I have a DR.s appointment, but not until the middle of January. I was going to see if there was anything that I could get medication wise to help with the supply. I just dont know what to do anymore. I just didnt want it to end this way. My goal was 1 year, but was considering going longer because of the benefits and because we were enjoying it for awhile. Now, I just dont know...

It's very normal for breastfed babies to shoot up to the top of the charts in early infancy, and then slip back down the percentiles as they get older and start investing more of their calories in motion, rather than packing them on as fat.

Where are you and your baby's dad on the spectrum of weight and height? Are you smaller, slimmer people? If so, your baby's weight may just be genetic. There's nothing wrong with being in the 10-15 %ile if you look at humanity as a whole- there are healthy babies in every %ile, and statistically speaking there are just as many healthy babies in the 1 %ile as there are in the 99 %ile.

I don't see a reason to stop breastfeeding, here. Your baby is on a semi-strike right now but babies change their minds all the time, and she may do a complete turnabout and start nursing like a newborn. Definitely keep offering, in a low-pressure way, and if you have the energy, I definitely encourage you to continue to pump. You can mix expressed milk into your baby's solids for a calorie boost, and pumping will also maintain supply for those times when your baby does decide to nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

yeah, we are both on the thinner side I guess. I am caucasian and my husband is also Asian, and the woman on his side are shorter so maybe that plays a role like you said. I am not too worried about that since she is happy most of the time.

I guess my next question for you would be when and how often should I be pumping. For example, when she woke this morning at 6:30 she at for maybe 2 minutes on my left side (the side she refuses). Then at 7:30 she ate well on my right. Then she went down for a nap around 8:30, she only nurses to sleep. So I tried her on my right but she refused it so I nursed her to sleep on my left. So she hasnt eaten from my left since 6:30. When she wakes up probably sometime around 10-10:30 she may want to eat so I will offer her my left first. If she doesnt eat then should I pump? I can tell that I have some milk on it but not too. Should I only pump after feeds or sometime in between. I just find that if I pump between feeds she refuses even more because the let down is slow. I just need to figure out how to produce more milk, and have a good let down too.

Thank you so much for you time. This has helped already so much!

Since you're thinking that lower supply and slower flow could explain your child's reluctance to nurse, I'd be interested to see what would happen if you took a week and really maxed out your pumping as much as possible. Pump after every feeding, maybe even pump during naps if you think there's a chance that baby will be sleeping for an hour or so. That sort of high level of consistent stimulation could result in a big increase in supply, and if that resulted in better nursing, then you've solved the problem.

Thanks so much! I started doing this today but I am afraid that I am just not producing enough. My LO was on the breast ALL night last night and still was not satisfied. She woke up and tried to eat but I didnt have much. I pumped while she napped and she woke up as I was finishing up and wanted to nurse and I had nothing to give her. I tried to hold her out for awhile. Then she wanted to eat again, and kind of fell asleep for like 10 minutes and still was hungry. I tried to feed her what I pumped this morning in a sippy cup but she didnt take much. She was biting ate her hands, which she does when she is hungry. So I gave her something small to eat while encouraging her to take the expressed milk. I think tried to pump again and just got drops of milk. I feel that I dont have enough supply for her demand and me pumping is taking away what little she is getting. I am really at a loss here and I am starting to get worried that I will really have to stop. I jsut dont know what that is going to look like since I nurse her to sleep all the time. This is really hard, and I don't know what to do. I dont want to take away her source of comfort like this. UGH!!! Any other advice?

I think that if your baby wants to nurse, the best thing you can do is to nurse her, even if you literally just pumped. First of all, the breast is never truly empty and so she will always be able to get milk out if she is patient enough and nurses well. Second, nursing builds supply. The more stimulation you get, the better your supply will be. Third, any time you nurse- even if there's very little milk present- you are training your baby to associate comfort and happiness and getting her needs met with the breast. So instead of thinking "I can't nurse now, I just pumped, she's going to get frustrated!", I really encourage you to embrace any nursing attempt on your baby's part. Even if it's really short.

The way milk supply works is that more demand = more supply. But it takes time for increased demand to kick your body into increased supply. That's why I think you want to try this experiment for several days, at least. Give your body time to respond.