Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very small toddler - 21 months/18lbs

Default Re: Very small toddler - 21 months/18lbs

Oh, and our pediatrician uses the CDC charts which makes my boy even farther off the charts than he actually is. I have come to terms with the fact that he will not end up on the charts for height or weight at this appointment (3rd percentile for weight is about 23.5lbs and 3rd percentile for height is about 32.5" for his age).

Gosh I over-think these damn charts. Someone take them away from me!
    Last edited by @llli*kevins-mom; March 19th, 2014 at 10:44 AM.
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)

Since everything else sounds right on track, give it more time. I've found my son 's weight gain as a toddler plateaus and spurts much more as compared to the steady gain of an infant. Ds gained less than 2 lbs from age 1-2. Four months later he'd gained 4 lbs and stayed there (even losing a little under half a lb at one point) for six months. This past month he's gained 2 lbs. He likes being weighed with me at my pregnancy well checks which is the only reason he's been weighed so often this year.
    The charts kind of make me laugh though I know they provide a good reference base. My son was at one point over 100% for height. Not something I can control and doesn't mean there was anything abnormal about him. He just didn't fit neatly within the charts. I get that low weight is certainly more concerning but with consistent growth on his own curve, I'd bet your son is just the outlier on that end of the chart.

have you read the book my child won't eat by carlos gonzalez? I strongly suggest it. I realize your child does eat, but that does not matter, as the book is not about making children eat more, its about what is normal. His explanation of weight charts alone is very eye opening.

I actually just started reading "kiss me!" off of another recommendation, I'm hoping he touches a bit on that in that book!! Thanks!
    Nursling: Kevin (March 2012)

I love Kiss Me! For me personally it is the most important parenting book I have ever read, and I have read far too many parenting books over the years!

But I think My Child Won't Eat is going to be more on point for your concerns about growth. If you don't want to buy it and it's not in your LLL library or local public library, maybe you can ask your local library to order it. I asked my county library to order both books and they actually ordered 5 each! It was easy, I did it all online.

Update: our 2 year exam went just fine! Our pediatrician showed me that he grew more from 18-24mo than he did from 12-18mo (by 4oz)!!

He scored around the age of a 3 year old on the developmental charts and I'm feeling proud of him and less worried. We talked about his eating habits and they seem better than most toddlers, so perhaps he's just a little guy.

They measured him laying down at 31.5" which is BARELY off the charts and over an inch taller than I had measured him standing up.
    Last edited by @llli*kevins-mom; March 28th, 2014 at 10:28 AM.

That's awesome! Keep up the good work, mama.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"