Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood in stool

Default Blood in stool

Hi,
    My son is 12 weeks old & EBF.

In his 7th week we noticed slight blood in his stool (thin strand). Went to the doc and was recommended to be off dairy. I have been off dairy fairly strictly for approx 6 weeks now(except a chocolate piece I ate once). But the frequency of blood in stool has increased lately - almost getting it everyday now. I am suggested by doctor to continue the dairy free diet, but I am losing faith that he has milk protein allergy.
    Came across this thread - http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ctose-overload and my story seems similar.

For approximately 6 weeks I did suffer from somewhat oversupply ( breasts rock hard in mornings and sometimes in the day ; spray at times gagging the baby, baby hardly ever emptying a single breast). This improved around 7 weeks but not completely. In the last month I again went thru cycles of oversupply, optimal supply & somewhat undersupply. Oversupply lasts for 4, 5 days and then gets optimal, with perhaps a day or so of little bit undersupply. Then bounces back up as I let baby suck as much as he wants then.

Based on the link above it could be that my son is suffering from lactose overdose by getting more fore milk. His potty sways between yellow and green. It is mucusy at times & then the blood strands I mentioned. Also is loud & farty often.
    He is generally happy, tho there are bad days I have to admit once in a while. He is somewhat gassy tho and need many burps in a single feed. Also burps are hard to come at times and this does interfere with feeding sometimes as he doesn't want to feed. is weight gain is fine too (approx 4 pounds in 10 weeks)

My question is
    - if indeed this is the issue of lactose overdose, how long does it take for the blood to stop once the supply has been regulated. I have been having a fairly regulated spell lately, but the blood continues. I am wondering if I need to be more patient. Potentially give time for the internals to heal? Not sure just speculating. What has been your experience?
    - The other option could be potentially allergies to other things (soy, etc..) Perhaps I should do a trial on those.

Any suggestion, guidance is much appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Blood in stool

- if indeed this is the issue of lactose overdose, how long does it take for the blood to stop once the supply has been regulated. I have been having a fairly regulated spell lately, but the blood continues. I am wondering if I need to be more patient. Potentially give time for the internals to heal? Not sure just speculating. What has been your experience?
    I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this question. I personally feel that the "when" questions- like "when will my baby's poops go back to normal?" or "when will my baby go longer than 20 minutes without nursing?" etc.- are the hardest ones to answer, because every mom, every baby, and every nursing journey is so individual. If anecdotal evidence means anything, then my experience was that my baby had green and bloody poops intermittently for several months after my supply had more or less adjusted to the proper level.

- The other option could be potentially allergies to other things (soy, etc..) Perhaps I should do a trial on those
    I personally don't think that moms should eliminate even the top allergens without additional evidence of the baby having a problem. When baby is happy, healthy, and growing appropriately, then I think that green and/or bloody poops are something to watch, but not something to freak out about. This is particularly true when a mom knows she has an oversupply issue- it's so much more likely that your baby's poop issue is caused by oversupply than by allergy that I don't see any reason to throw yourself down the elimination diet rabbit hole.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I clicked this post because I am having the same issues, except I don't have signs of oversupply..no rock hard boobs, baby empties both breasts at a time and cries for more, no spraying, nothing like that. My baby does however have the rapid weight gain, blood tinged,green mucousy stool, and tons of wet diapers. I have been off dairy for a week and a half. I haven't seen blood in the past 2 days, but the green mucous froth poops are still there.
    Its so irritating, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vblasi View Post
    I have been off dairy for a week and a half. I haven't seen blood in the past 2 days, but the green mucous froth poops are still there.

Then wait it out a few days...It could be dairy allergy as Doctors say it could take upto 3+ weeks to get the protein completely out of your and baby's system.