Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what to do

Default I don't know what to do

I am getting extremely worried about my just turned 5 month DD. she has been breast feed only. Gained weight well, great eater (we nurse every 2 hours on average around the clock) but her diaper output (wet) has taken a big decrease in the last couple of days to the point where I'm so concerned that I think I may offer her some breast milk afterwards in a bottle or sippy cup. I never wanted to do this as I have fears like with my first daughter, where I struggled with BF and bottle feeding expressed milk. I did not want to go back there, but am worried my baby is not getting enough. She's gone from about 12 wet diapers a day (24hr) to about 8 yesterday and only 6 today. But what qualify as a wet diaper? She is having more very small wet diapers now. About 4 small and a couple that were a bit bigger. But she used to have lots if large wet diapers. We have had our troubles already with teething lots ( still happening and I believe she has pain when she sucks) and 4 month fussiness, and still happening. Do I start supplementing? Odds are she will drop me like a stone once she figures she can get milk from a bottle or sippy cup, but I don't want her to be hungry. PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: I don't know what to do

This is a handy reference on diaper out out in the older baby: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...ughmilk-older/. According to kellymom, you're looking for 4-5 sopping diapers per day, and in order to feel what a sufficiently wet diaper feels like, you should "pour 4-6 tablespoons (60-90 mL) of water into a clean diaper (if baby wets more often, then the amount of urine per diaper may be less). Diapers may be wetter in the morning, especially with older babies. Urine should be pale and mild smelling."

One thing that often happens with older babies is that they discover how to hold their pee for longer, in order to avoid the discomfort of sitting in a wet diaper. That can make it look like there's been a dramatic drop in diaper output.

As long as you are continuing to nurse on demand, I don't think there's any reason to supplement. Just keep an eye on the diapers.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Also, what kind of diapers are you using? Some of the moisture absorbency gels in disposable diapers are so effective these days that it is nearly impossible to tell when they are even wet unless they are completely saturated!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

I do not think you need to start supplementing because of a few less wet diapers. Esp when 6 wet diapers per 24 hours is normally plenty at this age.

How often does baby poop? Any other signs of dehydration?

We worry about dehydration alot but a baby would have very obvious signs of distress to any reasonably alert mom if dehydration was getting erious.

if you do think baby is dehydrated, I suggest contact your pediatrician.

And I dissagree with kellymom about 'sopping' if we are talking most disposables. Even with cloth, sopping is a matter of opinion. I have never tried the tablespoon trick but i would be interested in the source of how much in total volume a 5 month old should pee every day. Wouldn't this vary?
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 26th, 2013 at 11:30 AM.

My DD is only pooping every other day (occasionally once a day) and they are darker yellow to mostly green poops, they are usually quite big/plentiful (runny). I am using disposable diapers but have been using the same kind. I just feel that a dramatic decrease in the wet diapers and the amount I am nursing, I am wondering if she needs more than I have. I have always had good supply, but nursing constantly now (2 hours at this point is a long time between feedings, we are nursing sometimes every hour for about 5 hrs during the night & in the evening, and I am offering constantly during the day) I wonder if she needs more.......
    I just tried 4 tablespoons of water in a diaper and this would be equal to what I would call a medium wet diaper for her. She did have 2 of these yesterday, but the other 4 would only be about 2 tablespoons. She used to have big soppy ones all the time before.

No other signs of dehydration (she has tears and her fontanelle lookes good)

My DD is only pooping every other day (occasionally once a day) and they are darker yellow to mostly green poops, they are usually quite big/plentiful (runny).
    so that is entirely normal poop output for a 5 month old, many poop far less often and it's still normal. So that sounds good to me. A dehydrated 5 month old baby is not going to have big runny poops every couple of days.

I don't know what to say about the decrease wets except at some point they do become less frequent, just like poops do. (Although of course baby wets way more often than poop, also every normaly wet poop (as opposed to a hard, dry poop) also counts as a wet-know what i mean?) this drop in wets may just be temporary, as intake typically varies.

So baby is nursing more frequently, or less? I mean, what about nursing frequency is concerning you? That its too much or too little?

At this point lllmeg, my concern is that we are nursing so often. I expected this in the beginning, and I knew I was going to be nursing a lot for a long time (I did with my first), but if she is nursing so often, especially through the night when it is every hour, it almost seems to tell me she may need more?

Ok got it. So nursing frequency is certainly something to look at but it is not a for-sure sign something is wrong. Babies nurse for many reasons, and while it is true that "generally" babies will start to nurse less often as baby ages, there certainly are exceptions! If your baby nurses about every 2 hours that is 12 times a 24 hour day, and even if part of the night it is more frequent, that would make what- 15 times total? and while I agree many 5 month olds no longer nurse that often, I assure you, some do.

What about session length? Many babies start nursing for a shorter amount of time at SOME sessions but retain the high frequency overall.

Also, babies also "generally' nurse less frequently for a while and then ramp up nursing again for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks due to growth spurts, illness, teething pain, even developmental milestones will cause this. Changes in routine, moves, vacations, mom going back to work or increasing work hours etc. can all cause totally normal upticks in nursing frequency and/or duration.

But you are looking at two things- an increase (or continued high amount) in nursing frequency coinciding with less wets.

Since baby IS nursing frequently, we know that is not the problem. (if there is a problem.) I assume baby has gained normally up until now, so we know baby is able to transfer milk efficiently. That leaves inadequate milk production as the most likely culprit IF baby is not getting quite enough milk.

So I would suggest, keep an eye on it, and think about what, if anything, may have occurred recently to cause a reduction in your milk production. Birth control or other meds? MAJOR diet changes? intake of some herb-some herbs decrease milk production while others increase it. Your own illness? etc.

You could also consider taking a galactagogue(s)-food or herb- to see if that helps. Do your research on what you think you would feel comfortable trying (Kellymom.com has some info as does the book Making More Milk.)
    For frequent nursing sessions you can see if breast compressions help at all. search Jack Newman Breast compressions. Also if you have help at night, assuming baby is nursing so frequently at least partly for comfort (which I suspect, and its normla and fine but I know, very tiring) a helper can try comforting baby another way for part of the night so you can get a longer stretch of sleep. But I do suggest avoid a bottle feeding unless supplements prove medically neccesary, as supplements will harm milk production.

hth, I know it is concerning to think baby is not getting enough.

Here 's a great resource I've found regarding infant sleep http://evolutionaryparenting.com/gen...eep-resources/

So your oldest also nursed very frequently past the newborn stage? Perhaps you have a milk storage capacity on the lower end of the spectrum? Not low production, just storage which would cause them to nurse more often than our society cares for (not saying it isn't exhausting but there are cultures who nurse short amounts several times every hour).