Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2nd time around, seeking opinions of more BTDT mamas.

Default 2nd time around, seeking opinions of more BTDT mamas.

NAK…Hey guys, it's been a while! I'm nursing my 2nd now, she's 6 weeks (2 weeks adjusted), and I'm looking for a little reassurance. She was born 5 pounds 6 ounces and is now 9 pounds 8 ounces, plenty of wets and dirties. Only things that are on my mind are:

1. She really likes to sleep. Is awake in the morning and evening, but other than that she's always snoozing. She also frequently STTN if we use the 5 hour guideline. Sometimes I wake her if I feel full, but sometimes she goes 3+ hours between day feeds and her longest stretch at night was 6.5 hours. This sound ok?

2. She nurses fast, like maybe 5-10 minutes, and only takes one breast at a time, unless it's when she cluster feeds right after we get up in the morning and then in the evening. This sound ok?

She's so different from my first in all ways, including when it comes to nursing.

So tell me ladies, anything to worry about?
    I'm Erin, mommy to Ella, born at 33 weeks 4 days, and Addison, born at 35 weeks and 5 days.

Default Re: 2nd time around, seeking opinions of more BTDT mamas.

Welcome back!

1. It's fine for a baby to sometimes go longer between feedings, especially when weight gain is good. Just watch her daily total- as long as she's continuing to feed at least 8 times a day, she's not dropping down too low. And don't be afraid to wake her earlier than she would spontaneously wake, if you're feeling nervous or full.

2. Yes, fast nursing is fine- especially, again, when weight gain is good. Sounds like you might have a bit of an overabundant supply right now?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's hard to say how many times she nurses in a day, since she cluster feeds twice daily (so lots of nursing time) but we probably hit about 8. She is just such a change from my experience with my first (she's good at nursing, she sleeps well, she's not particularly fussy) that it feels like this is my first time again.

I actually think my supply is pretty stable; it regulated about 3 weeks ago. I pump an extra 5 ounces a day for freezer supply, but I need to work for it, unlike last time where I could pump that in 5 minutes. My letdown is still a little intense, but she handles it very well.
    I'm Erin, mommy to Ella, born at 33 weeks 4 days, and Addison, born at 35 weeks and 5 days.

my second took these long sleep stretches early on. it freaked me out but it was fine.

As long as baby is gaining well and you are not getting engorged, this all sounds fine. I think it is fine to wake baby and nurse again (or encourage baby to nurse in sleep) if you start feeling full.

I pump an extra 5 ounces a day for freezer supply, but I need to work for it, unlike last time where I could pump that in 5 minutes.
    Are you using the same pump? Some parts may be worn. 5 ounces, of course, that is quite a lot to pump, so there is nothing concerning about the amount. But if you have ffld and were able to pump more easily before, that suggests the pump may not be working optimally.
    any reason you need to get 5 ounces every time? I guess I would suggest don't over-due the pumping if it can be avoided. Many moms would have to pump 2-4 times to get that much.

Oh, I do pump about twice a day for those five ounces; once in the morning and right before bedtime. My OS from last time was due to aggressive pumping for a NICU baby and then being told to continue pumping after every time she nursed for 5 minutes after the milk stopped flowing. So basically, even though my supply was probably fine, the way I was told to pump was what you should do to build supply. It was a mess and I think a major reason why feeding at the breast went poorly for us and I ended up EP'ing for her until she turned 12 months.