Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Traveling with Pump and EBM

Default Traveling with Pump and EBM

I am traveling at the end of the month for work and am finding conflicting information on some questions i have. I cannot call the airlines as my flight is not booked yet. Depending on how these answers play out my boss may find that it is not necessary for me to travel at all.

* Does my pump count against my carry on allowance?
    * coming back, can i carry on my frozen milk? (ive seen online some people had to place in their suitcase due to too many carry ons, others had to ship their milk back home.
    * can i freeze and transport bags or does it have to be bottles? TSA mentioned bottles with a lid but that would take up so much room.
    * Will i need a medical note to help back me up with transporting any of this?

Default Re: Traveling with Pump and EBM

The pump is small enough to count as your "personal item" instead of a purse/laptop/etc., but I'm pretty sure it does count against your total of one carry-on and one personal item.

I've travelled domestically with frozen breast milk in the usual storage bags, inside a small insulated bag with ice packs, as part of my carry-on. No issues. No medical note.

I agree. I've also traveled with my pump as the personal item, but if you have a suitcase and another personal item (like a computer bag), then you can end up having to check the suitcase. You can carry on milk. Let them know when you are going through security that you have breastmilk. No need for a note.

Did you see this?
    http://www.tsa.gov/traveling-formula...milk-and-juice

Breast milk is exempt from the 3-1-1 rule, so you can travel with as much as you need to, liquid or frozen. In my experience, they will ask you to open the cooler and maybe take a bag out to look at. Yes, you can use bags. Have a plan for where you can find extra ice at the airport in case they mess up the order of your cooler and you have to do some repacking to get everything covered. Freezer packs are also exempt from the 3-1-1 rule.

I was traveling with my husband, so I had the pump as my "personal item" and he had the cooler as his. Someone else will have to chime in about the logistics of traveling alone with both of those items. (ETA: assuming you are packing regular luggage as a carry on)
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

If you will be away only a few days, I wouldn't freeze the milk. Keep in mind that if it thaws while traveling (it has for me when just using an ice pack), you have to use it within 24 hours. If you have several days worth of milk, that probably isn't likely. I've flown 3 or 4 times with breastmilk with no issues.

I would print out the TSA guidelines and highlight relevant sections, such as "Although formula, breast milk, and juice is inspected at the checkpoint, you, your infant or toddler will not be asked to test or taste the breast milk, formula, or juice. Our Security Officers may test liquid exemptions (exempt items more than 3 ounces) items for explosives. Officers may also ask you to open the container during the screening process."