Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can an attempt at nightweaning have backfired?

Default Can an attempt at nightweaning have backfired?

I tried Dr. jay Gordon's method of nightweaning a co sleeping toddler. DD is 16 mos. We weren't really co sleeping, but I started bringing her into bed and keeping her there to go through with this method. I also stretched it out much longer than the 10 days because she got sick in between and when we picked it back up again, it seemed harder somehow, like she wasn't accepting it as readily as she had been the first time.

Well. Now I've backtracked. I am only unlatching her before She's asleep because when I tried the final stage, flat out refusing to nurse overnight, we were up all night. And now, well, I'm worried the whole thing is the cause of whatever is making matters worse. We are STILL up all night, with DD waking not every hour, but twice an hour from about 12:30am on (2 nights like this), crying anxiously for na-na at the least disturbance, before I've had a chance to react, as well as waking earlier than usual (but within normal hours for a toddler).

Could it be the nightweaning attempt backfired? How do we get back on track to a better nights sleep for all? My stress from the lack of sleep and concern about it is having an impact on the whole household
    Last edited by @llli*isabelofmtl; November 15th, 2013 at 06:04 AM.
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.

Default Re: Can an attempt at nightweaning have backfired?

I am not familiar with Dr. Gordon's recommendations on this, but I am familiar with night weaning a baby of about this same age using some of the ideas in the No Cry Sleep Solution, and in my personal experience it definitely led to much less sleep for everyone and it was a relief when we stopped & went back to nursing on request at night. (I nightweaned temporarily for fertility reasons.)

This is not a criticism of The No Cry Sleep Solution which i think is a good and helpful book, or Jay Gordon, who is a well respected breastfeeding expert & I am sure his techniques for nightweaning are responsible and gentle.

But every child is different and even babies in their second year nurse at night & nurse to sleep, imo, because they need to. Some babies are just not ready to stop doing that at this age.

Most LLL info on weaning, night or otherwise, suggest that if a certain approach is not working or causing issues, to back off on that and either try again at a later time or try something else.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; November 16th, 2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: can't spell

Default Re: Can an attempt at nightweaning have backfired?

Just wanted to update this post. After some rough weeks (the usual culprits: illness, teething), things settled down and I gave nighweaning another shot. It's actually going quite well. I read The No Cry Sleep Solution and, although i didn't adopt her method, I took away the lesson that persistence, consistency and flexibility are key.

DD is rarely asking to nurse after bedtime (she nurses to sleep) until around 4am. She still wakes up at night, mind you, and I choose to bring her in to bed with me at that time. I cuddle, rub her back and shh or whisper gently to help her back to sleep when she wakes. Unless she seems really anxious about it, I don't nurse her, I tell her that na-na (word for nursing) is sleeping. She sometimes, increasingly rarely, complains, but not for long.

I'm working on slowly extending the "dry period" to 5am, and ultimately 6am.

All in all, I'm glad we backed off initially and i'm glad of how it's been going now. And yes, I'm ready for (but not looking forward to) backsliding! BTW, part of my reason was also fertility and I STILL haven't gotten my period back!
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012.