Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 day old taking a lot of air?

Default 8 day old taking a lot of air?

My DS has been doing great so far BF. But on my left breast he doesn't seem to clamp down very well and it almost seems like he's only sucking on the nipple. My nipple isn't sore. He has great latch on my right breast. It just seems like we have problems with the left. When he's nursing (when I can get him to nurse) on the left side it seems like he takes in a lot of air. I feel like maybe poor latch? When I burp him after feeding on that side he's spitting up a lot and what seems like is everything that he ate. I hope this is making sense. Any advice? If you need clarification please let me know. Thanks

Default Re: 8 day old taking a lot of air?

Welcome to the forum!

I know that big spit-ups can make a mom worry, but they are a normal part of infancy. As long as the baby is gaining weight normally and isn't in pain when spitting up, they're a laundry issue, not a health issue. And while spit-up events may look like the baby just regurgitated everything he ate, they are generally not that voluminous. A good way to visualize this is to pour out a couple of oz of cow's milk on your kitchen counter- it will spread everywhere and will probably look like way more than it did in the measuring cup.

When it comes to latching, what matters is not how the latch looks but how it feels. If the latch feels okay, you're not sore, and the baby is gaining an adequate amount of weight, then the latch is probably a good one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you. He doesn't seem in pain at all when he spits up. I have come to the conclusion that I have OALD in my left breast. When I manually express my milk shoots out everywhere!! He does the clicking sounds, gulping, and pulling away. What are some tips? I'm only 9 days into this. My left breast has been sort of behind my right the entire time. Will it regulate on it's own? Are there steps I need to take to help with the let down? Can I manually express before feeding on that side?

Will it regulate on it's own?
    Yes, over time forceful letdown calms down as milk production stops ramping up as it does in the early weeks (esp the first week or two) and "levels off."
    Are there steps I need to take to help with the let down?
    Yes, in my experience, nursing very frequently and nursing in a reclined position (with baby more "on top" so the milk is flowing more "uphill") both help the most. Other things that help are to let baby nurse one side at a time (unless baby wishes to switch after nursing on one side for a bit)-in other words, don't 'make' or even actively encourage baby to nurse both sides at a time. This is not needed if baby is gaining normally. And also I suggest to not pump unless it is absolutely neccesary.
    Can I manually express before feeding on that side?
    Yes, that can certainly help too.