Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teeth, teeth, and more teeth!

Default Teeth, teeth, and more teeth!

Hello!

My DS, now 14.5 months, is teething like a mother _______. Poor guy is getting in what appear to be bicuspids on both sides of the top (he has all 4 incisors on top and three on the bottom). I kid you not, I am in so much pain when he nurses! Not all the time, but certain angles, it feels like his latch is just "off". So far we've only had a few biting incidents and most of them have been falling asleep with a shallow latch. So this doesn't feel like that bad, but it's more a constant cutting type of pressure on the left side of my left breast, and sometimes on my right, right side, corresponding to the new sharp little tooth. Any way to help him adjust? In the meantime I've found holding my breast or pushing in a little helps. Unfortunately it's worse when side lying which is what we do at night and also during naps on weekends. I thought I was getting a plugged duct but I think it was all the teeth rubbing on me as my breasts aren't sore when I massage them and I don't feel a hard lump.

Thanks for advice! I did have an IBCLC with my old insurance carrier, but just switched to Providence and I haven't investigated whether I'd be covered since I didn't give birth under this new plan. I will check that out too.
    We and with our little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

Default Re: Teeth, teeth, and more teeth!

Haha - have I stumped everyone? 73 views, no replies...

You stumped me.

My only thought is, can you take him off the breast when his latch is most annoying? Treat it like biting, let him make the connection between his nursing style and your reaction (i.e. "I nurse like this and mom let's me continue, I nurse like that and mom takes the breast away") and maybe he'll stop hurting you?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks - so a little behavioral conditioning? Not opposed to that
    I was wondering if other women had experienced this later latch problem, from a toddler. I think it will get better if I try your method and hopefully I'll feel the teeth less when they come in fully. This will be annoying with my parents coming this weekend and their constant questions of "isn't he biting you with all that teeth" are finally accurate

Yup, time to go back to Pavlov and Skinner!

Good luck with your parents. I hope they can confine themselves to "Isn't the weather grand!" and "How about those (insert name of sports team here)!"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

did you read the kellymom article on biting and teeth scraping? http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/

For ouchy latch at this age I would suggest position changes (sorry) and taking baby off and relatching. At this age you can try saying "open wide" and demonstrating to see if that improves latch at all.

For sidelying, what about pulling baby's bottom firmly in to you to change the angle of the latch?

From the team of IBCLCs I worked with for DS, I came to understand that latch needs to be revisited around the one year mark as babies outgrow old nursing positions. With my DS26mo, we had to shift our positioning when side lying, especially, to ensure he had adequate space to lower his jaw when swallowing. We had a tendency for DS to crowd his mouth and tuck his chin. So that's one pitfall to avoid. Not sure if that applies in your situation.

I will try relatching and repositioning. This morning I was pumping at work and looked down to see blood from my areola entering the milk! Yikes! Not coming from my nipple but clearly from his teeth causing cracks/cuts. Ugh.

Hey - I'm still having an issue and it has progressed. I'm writing here but if I don't get any responses I'll start a new thread. Here is my update:

My DS bit my nipple inadvertently with his new "premolar" on the right breast (his left premolar). It is still slowly growing in and it's sharp. It actually ended up breaking skin and now, a week or so later, I am still not healed. I am putting lanolin on it as much as possible. I mentioned above having blood during pumping at work, which appears to have stopped but this still really hurts. I have adjusted latch but my concern is getting the cut infected. I have actually washed myself a lot too. I remember reading back in the early days to not use soap or lotions on my breasts in preparation for breastfeeding and I've just continued that until now. I now am washing with a really mild soap (African black soap if you've heard of that, it's wonderful) and very warm water, using lanolin, and occasionally coconut oil.
    Any other suggestions? It has scabbed but I think it becomes raw and irritated every time I pump and nurse. And then it opens up again. Not conducive to healing. I am wondering if Neosporin would be okay, just not right before nursing so I don't have to get it in his mouth.
    Thanks in advance. I changed insurance and lost my connection to my IBCLC and didn't feel this warranted a consult with a new one. I appreciate all of your help! Happy New Year!

My boys are fourteen months old and we have been dealing with the same, bad latch, teeth scraping issues as you seem to be dealing with as well!
    But it sounds like your discomfort has gone to a whole new level. Do you think you might have a mild case of thrush? If your little one irritated the skin of your areola, it may have left you vulnerable to bacteria. Have you thought about trying Gentian Violet? I will attest to its healing powers personally!
    I've never thought to use Neosporin- I think the issue with it would be whether or not you would need to remove it before baby nurses or if it's safe to ingest small amounts...