Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump, nurse, formula. At a cross road..

Default Pump, nurse, formula. At a cross road..

So the last 9 months have been a challenge, but the last 3 months have been hell. It is all time that I can't get back. I have been under so much stress between caring for my DH, DS and DD that my supply has taken yet another hit. I've been supplementing him with formula since I went for surgery at the end of Sept. Originally I only wanted him on it for a few days. Now here we are almost 3 months later and I am still usuing the formula.

I exclusively pumped with my first for her first year and that was my whole hearted plan for this one if I wasn't able to nurse. I've been trying to nurse him but he refuses every time. I don't think I have helped at all because I constantly will start nursing then stop for a few weeks then start again etc. No matter how hungry or sleepy he is, I can't get him to latch.

It also doesn't help that we have just recently been hit hard financially to the point of needing income assistance. One of the requirements of being on IA is you have to actively be looking for work. SInce my hubby is still out from the bone infection in his toe, I get yet another thing added to my plate. Even though I am the sole care taker of all 3 of them. Now if I continue to pump then any job would have to work around my bfing sched right?

I keep wavering between stopping pumping all together and just switching him to formula or not. Then part of me thinks "hey, you only have 2 1/2 months left". The pumping is so time consuming and I already feel overwhelmed with everything else, that taking that 20-40 min to pump makes me cringe. If I don't get enough from the pump I stop and hand express until I get some what close to the amount I was getting. I just want anyone else's experience, decision, information. A little encouragement. At this point anything. Everyone around me just tells me to do what feels right for me. But at this point I am so undecided.

Default Re: Pump, nurse, formula. At a cross road..

I think you have gotten good advice from those who tell you that "only you can decide". Because that is true. But I also think the fact that you are so full of indecision, and that you know you only have a very short time to go in order to finish out the year, means that whatever you decide, today isn't the day to make a permanent choice.

If you get a job, most of them would be provide you with breaks. But not all. Do if you are offered a job, you will need to discuss the break situation. I wouldn't go into an interview saying things like "I am going to need breaks of x minutes every x hours" because that makes you look like a problem employee right off the bat. But if you get the job, then you present the break issue in a casual, positive way.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for replying

I should of reworded that, lol. I was able to compromise with my employer when I went back after mat leave with my first. I was just unclear how it could work with a new employer.

I think all the stresses that have gone on in the last few months have taken a toll on me, and I've let it (unintentionally) affect my bfing/pumping.

I REALLY wanted to get him to nurse and he would, but then I would stop. I have now gone through 2 pumps this year and have to call the company to send a replacement. I have the MII first years double, I wanted Medella but no insurance and didn't have the money. Is it possible to get him back into nursing now or is there no point?

It's always possible to get a baby back to the breast, particularly when the baby in question has been nursed in the past and still has some sort of memory of how nice nursing can be. Some babies will go right back. For those who are reluctant, the tips in this link may help: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. The skin-to-skin and instant reward methods are said to be particularly helpful.

If you're eligible for IA, perhaps you are also eligible for WIC? WIC might be a good source for a pump, maybe a better machine that what you're using now. Alternately, if you contact your local LLL you might find someone who can offer you a second-hand pump- officially people aren't supposed to share pumps as most (but not all) of them are technically single user medical devices, but I officially a lot of exchanges of lightly used machines happen in the parking lot outside the meeting.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"