Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crying during feeding

Default Re: Crying during feeding

Oh My! I'm just a beginner myself & have nothing to offer in terms of solutions, but I just want to send support. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be. Hang in there. You'll figure it out!

(I know this is sacrilege, but does he act in the same way if you feed him expressed milk not from the breast? That'd tell you if it was the content of the milk or the delivery).

He got bottles in hospital at the start due t low blood sugar and trying get him on the breast was a really hard struggle therefore I'm a bit scared to give him a bottle...

But A great idea though!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wooha View Post
    I'm a bit scared to give him a bottle
    There's always cup feeding, though I never could get the hang of it. It's pretty cute though to see an infant lapping up milk.

Was told at the hospital that only trained nurses were allowed to feed with the cup as baby could inhale milk otherwise, so never tried. But might watch some videos and see if I can try it

Was told at the hospital that only trained nurses were allowed to feed with the cup as baby could inhale milk otherwise,
    sigh. Yes the idea is novel THESE day, but infants have been fed with a cup or spoon throughout history for any number of reasons.

Pediatrician Jack Newman has a nice cup feeding video on his website. My husband fed our then-2 month old daughter this way (to the delight of our older sons) when I was out and had not so helpfully left expressed milk but no bottle. And no he is NOT a trained nurse!

At this point I would suggest there is not need to be afraid of giving baby ONE (small-3 ounces tops) bottle in order to experiment as jessicannewmom suggests. So if cup feeding is not for you, try a bottle. Nipple/flow confusion happens over time, one bottle is not going to do any harm unless YOU get psyched out by baby seeming to be 'happier' or 'calmer' with the bottle and you think that means baby does not like to nurse. Don’t let that happen and you will be fine, no baby on earth prefers bottles to breasts unless they are trained over time to do so. Also I suggest use paced bottle feeding which lets baby control the flow or baby may glug the bottle and the purpose of the experiment is lost. (This happens naturally if you do cup feeding correctly.) If baby IS calmer with the bottle or cup, that would indeed suggest the issue is ffld, it seems to me. Certainly it would trend to rule out allergy. I think this is a good idea.
    Was reflux ruled out? i forget.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 21st, 2013 at 04:18 PM.