Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crying during feeding

Default Crying during feeding

LO is now 8 weeks and for the last couple of weeks he started crying during a feed. This could happen:

At the start when I try to latch him
    Within a few minutes
    After 15 minutes
    When I switch breasts

He seems to be hungry, sometimes I can convince him to feed and he will do so for a few minutes. Other times he will just cry and cry and cry...

Sitting him up sometimes helps.

Burping does not help.

He's putting on weight fine, so at least that is good, but I just can't figure out what this crying is about..

Any ideas?

Default Re: Crying during feeding

is baby exclusively breastfed, cue fed, and does baby 'decide' when and if to switch breasts or do you? Basically, I am wondering how often baby nurses and if he cues to nurse with normal frequency or needs encouragement.

have you read up on forceful letdown? reflux? this sounds like it could be related but it may be nothing of the kind. There would be more of the 'symptoms.'

My daughter would fuss & cry a lot immediately prior to and just after getting latched starting at about one month or 6 weeks iirc. After a while I realized it was an 'anticipation' cry. Basically, she wanted the milk and she wanted it NOW and even though I fed her on cue as much as possible, and have a fast letdown, I & it still was not fast enough to suit her.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 15th, 2013 at 04:12 PM.

He's exclusively breast fed and generally gets offered the breast after a sleep or when he is rooting. I only switch breasts if he stops on one side, so offer him the other one in case he'd like more.

I can't feel my let down, but don't think it is related. I think when I have forceful let down, he splutters a bit, so different

Once he starts crying, the best thing seems to sto feeding completely as as soon as I get him close to the breast, he screams, even though sometimes he six showing signs of being hungry...

Just now, I had him 3 minutes on the right breast begore he started screaming. I burped him and waited 10 minutes. Got 1.5 minutes on the other breast before he started screaming. Both times frantically going for the breast in short intervals while not crying...

While typing this, he is rooting again...

huh. ok i'm stumped. Is baby seeming in pain or crying at other times? Have you tried different positions?

Is it all the time or just part of the day?

Have tried different positions, ones where he is a little bit more upright seem to be better, but only sometimes. ..

He never seems to be like this at the night time feed or mornings, but in the couple of days he's also been like this in the morning.

The only thing that gets me through this is that he has plenty of wet and dirty nappies and that he is putting on weight...

Have you tried reclined feedings?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, tried feeding reclined too, no difference..

When he is crying, he is also arching his back and actively trying to get away from the breast..

I'm thinking fast letdowns... When baby pulls off the breast, what are you seeing? Is milk spraying/streaming from the breast? How would you rate your production- are you making a lot of milk or is your supply more in line with baby's needs?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sometimes he pulls away and splutters and there is a lot of milk drooling out of his mouth, but then he is straight back on the breast.

I had oats for 2 days in a row and noticed that I had more milk and leaked a good bit. Without the oats back to normal.

No change in his screaming behaviour at the breast.

No milk splutter when he screams. .

It seems to get worse over time... he rarely falls asleep on the breast now cause he always starts screaming...

Could it be something I am eating like dairy?