Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 days old...1 dirty diaper...ok?

Default Re: 3 days old...1 dirty diaper...ok?

Fingers crossed for you, mama.

Are the poops a bit larger than average? You're looking for something the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. If your LO's producing a larger volume than that, it could well make up for the lower frequency.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok...he gained 3 oz in 3 days..... can I stop worrying about how he's only passing 2 poops per day?
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Mommal: sorry, somehow I missed your reply. Some of the poops are larger, but most are quarter sized...the one this morning was huge (filled up the whole newborn diaper), but the one he passed this evening was quarter sized. And they're all very runny... Thoughts? Shall I risk optimism after today's weight check? I'm still so anxious. ... Thanks for your support, once again.
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Yay, that is good gain. But unfortunately three days gain only tells you what happened in that three days! So while this gain certainly indicates all is 100 % fine, it’s just not enough of a time frame to be conclusive. I do think you can relax and weigh baby less often.

runny poops normal and some blow-outs, others small, and some tiny also normal. Anything the size of us quarter or larger ‘counts.’

bc all the LLL lit says babies should be passing 3 poops/day by 1 week of age..
    3 poops a day (or more) is a good indicator baby is getting enough milk. But It is not conclusive and some babies are gaining normally despite pooping less often. As long as baby is pooping some (so we know there is no blockage) It's the gain that is important.

poops yellowy yet?

Thanks, Meg. DS actually had 3 dirty diapers today! I could cry with gratitude for each one. I agree that three days' gain is too small of a sample to be conclusive, but hopefully cautious optimism is safe for now... We have another scheduled checkup/weigh-in on Monday. Keeping fingers tightly crossed. If I have enough for him now, will I always have enough for him if I keep doing what I'm doing now?
    :

And yes, the stools are definitely yellowish!
    :

If I have enough for him now, will I always have enough for him if I keep doing what I'm doing now?
    probably, but no one can answer that definitively-

here is how milk production works typically. First few days, colustrum is available in small amounts. At ~ day 3 the transition to mature milk begins in earnest. Milk production goes from essentially zero on day one to almost 20 ounces per day by day 7. Then it keeps going up (but much more slowly) for the next 4-6 weeks to somewhere around 30 ounces per day but this is very variable depending on individual baby's needs. At that point, production levels off (for some moms this can actually feel or even be a normal and needed reduction in production) and production no longer needs to increase, because baby’s daily needs stay around the same from ~ one month until baby eventually and gradually begins weaning to solid foods.

The best way to keep milk production normal or at best possible levels is to nurse frequently and on cue, as much as you and baby wish. In the newborn period this is commonly at least 10-15 times per day and frequent nursing continues to be normal well past newborn weeks. And if there are any indications of poor transfer (nipple pain for example) taking care of that before it impacts production.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 20th, 2013 at 10:20 PM.

Thank you, Meg. So I guess if I have enough for him at 6 weeks I can start to relax at that point?

To update, LO is 13 days old today and weighed 8 lbs 15 oz (his birth weight was 9 lbs). He gained 4 oz in 5 days (or 7 oz in 8 days). Ped is satisfied. I keep wanting to pinch myself...but I understand I need to be cautious with my optimism for a few more weeks....

So Baby is back up to birth weight (essentially) and that is great news. How are poops now?
    Normally I would say I think the best course of action is to relax right now! There is nothing to be gained by stressing.
    typically, as long as you are doing what nature asks of you (making sure baby is nursing with normal -and at this age, that will be quite high) frequency, and assuming baby CAN nurse efficiently , which it certainly sounds as if baby can- then milk production (in the vast majority of cases) will behave normally and be enough for baby & continue to be enough for baby. This is true at 6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months.
    But I forgot you had a low production issue with your older child- I am sorry i don't know what ODS is?