Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 days old...1 dirty diaper...ok?

Default 3 days old...1 dirty diaper...ok?

Getting worried about my newborn's dirty diaper output. He is 3 days old but has only had 1 dirty diaper (meconium). There have been several wets...Trying not to panic as my milk seems like it's coming, and I'm pretty sure I see LO swallowing when nursing, but I had supply issues with ODS and ended up having to supplement...a total nightmare...have been hoping things would be different this time, but can't help freaking out a bit since the BFing drama with ODS started this way......waiting for the dirty diapers...please advise. Thanks so much.
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Default Re: 3 days old...1 dirty diaper...ok?

I think it's time to call the pediatrician. It may be that your baby is simply a slow pooper, and there 's an avalanche of diaper output around the corner. But with such a new newborn, I think you want to err on the side of caution. If there's an issue and formula is suggested, come back here or see an IBCLC and we'll try to find a way for you to EBF.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok. Here we go again I guess. Before I completely freak out, DH thought I should also mention. ....he pooped right after he came out, too (on me, actually ), and one nurse said that "counted." And there was one other potentially dirty diaper in the hospital. ...but it was hard to tell if it was dirty or urine because it was liquid, but located in the BACK of the diaper, and it was slightly darker in patches....which is why DH thought it was a dirty. I was erring on the side of caution and counting it as a wet. So there have been 2 for-sure poops, 1 potential-poop, but only one of those emerged in the last 40 hours since we've been home. Does that change anything? And should I call today or wait for his checkup tomorrow morning?
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

And thanks for your reply, mommal. You also supported me during my challenges with ODS. I was so hoping things would be different this time since I have tried to correct many mistakes I made with ODS... Praying DSL gives me a big poopy in the next couple hours...
    :

Hello and congratluations!

I just went and checked my own breastfeeding/pee/poop diary from when my son was a newborn. He also pooped right after he was born (luckily not on me hehe) and after that, he pooped for the first time on day 5. My milk came in between days 3 and 4. My son was very closely monitored because he was born weighing 2,5kg but no one seemed to be very worried that he hasn't really pooped till day 5. That was also the day when he actually started gaining weight (he dropped to 2310g on day 4)... So I'd say just keep on offering your breast and the rest will reveal itself with the check up tomorrow.
    My son was born 3/15/2013. He is my little wiggle worm

-ICP (intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy) mom, would love to talk if you are going or went through the same experience.
    Also: &

-most of the time busy chasing my little man as he rolls his way through the house

As long as baby isn't dehydrated- i.e. as long as he continues to produce sufficient wet diapers- I think I would be okay with waiting for the appointment tomorrow.

I think the picture does change because your baby pooped at birth- that means he had a head start when it came to passing his meconium. Ideally, a baby passes some or all of his meconium in the first 24 hours after birth. As mature milk comes in, stools should become more abundant and gradually change from greenish-black and tarry to more classic breastfed baby poops (yellowish to greenish, loose, not sticky). It sounds like your milk is just coming in, so I think the odds are very good that you're going to start seeing a lot more poop very soon.

Don't freak out yet, mama! I know that's hard when you had a rough go-round the first time... But chances are that everything is going to be different this time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Omg. DS just unloaded a HUGE chocolate pudding dirty diaper. Sooo relieved. Not gonna lie: I cried. I'll still be cautious until I know he's gaining adequately. Speaking of which...at tomorrow's appointment he will be 4.5 days old. He was 9 lbs at birth (natural, unmedicated). What can we expect in terms of his weight loss/gain considering my milk is only starting to come in better today? I want to be armed with authoritative information from a credible source when we see the ped in case he's quick to recommend supplementation, which is what happened with ODS...

And thanks so much, once again, for the support mamas. I'm convinced that the best women alive have found their way to these forums...

all poops count. Just keep an eye on it but do not freak. Is baby nursing very frequently and is nursing comfortable for you?

oh did not see your post. Hooray!

rule of thumb is baby back up to birth weight by 10-14 days. so you can expect to see a weight of somewhere under 9 lbs. This is not just because of when your milk becomes more abundant (and that sounds right on schedule) -its also because birth weights are 'inflated' even if there are no ivs, Why? because the baby spends the first 2-5 days pooping out the poop that was IN baby when baby was weighed right after delivery!

Also, different scale=you have to assume the measurement is incorrect either way. Frankly I would suggest tossing birth weight and taking tomorrows weight as lowest weight for all future measurements-unless baby measures already over birth weight.

YOU are the authority on your baby. breastmilk is the normal infant food and breastfeeding is the normal way to feed an infant. So your babies gain rate is normal, unless something is wrong with breastfeeding. And if something is wrong with breastfeeding, the answer is to fix the problem, not supplement (or not only supplement.) If you are in the US, the AAP is very clear that doctors are supposed to support exclusive breastfeeding. Formula is a medicine & even bottles of your own milk that you have to pump are a medical intervention, and the burden is on the hcp to explain why this medicine or medical intervention that have severe potential consequences is needed. If you disagree, get a second opinion.

nurse lots and love your baby. I think you will be fine.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 15th, 2013 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks so much, meg & others. Now DS is passing am average of 2 poops/24 hrs, which makes me very nervous bc all the LLL lit says babies should be passing 3 poops/day by 1 week of age...He's passing several soaking wet diaper, though. He weighed 8 lbs 8oz on Monday, and we're going to go weigh him today on the same scale...I sure am hoping he has gained a little since Monday. Already been crying about his lack of poopie diapers and I know I'll be a wreck if he hasn't gained (or worse - LOST) since Monday....
    :