Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to choose a Pump!

Default Trying to choose a Pump!

I am trying to pick a pump to add to my registry and want to know what other women have used and had success with! Please help with your personal opinions and reviews!

Default Re: Trying to choose a Pump!

The best pump for you depends on what you need it for. Are you planning to be home with your baby, only pumping the occasional bottle for a sitter, or are you going to be working full-time?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I will be working full time.

Okay, in that case you're looking for a good double electric pump like the Hygeia Enjoye or Medela Pump in Style. This will be the big ticket item on your registry, and you may not need to register for it at all if you live in the United States, as the Affordable Care Act requires most insurers to cover breastfeeding supplies. Check with your insurance company and find out what they offer.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I just went back to work this week and am using the Medela Freestyle for the 3rd time (3rd kiddo). My sister and several friends have used Medela Pump in Style and were successful. I chose Freestyle for the extra portability (battery operated) and lightweight. It also has very few parts (although I don't have much experience with any other units).

Definitely check on your insurance coverage. My plan covered a Pump in Style fully (since I purchased after delivery and I had met deductables), so I only paid the difference/upcharge to the Freestyle. Much better than having to pay for the pump out of pocket.
    DS 3/1/10, DD 6/26/11, DS 10/5/13
    Working & pumping mom with 3 kiddos three and under

Breast pumps are one of those items where you get what you pay for. If you are working full time and will have to be pumping 2-4 times per day they you need to put the money into one of the more expensive single user double electric pumps.

I had a Medela Pump in Style Advanced that I used 2-3 times per day, 5 days a week, for 10 months and it was still in good working condition when I put it away for baby #2.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Also if you are considering pumps and asking your insurance company (if you're in the U.S.) find out their policy on rentals. Some companies cover rentals and sales (mine did) and a portion of my hospital grade pump was covered. I've actually kept that pump at home and the other one from the health care company at the office and that's made the commute so much easier!

Think about location. For example i live in Texas. i had origionally bought an Ameda Purley Yours, but when i went to buy additional flanges and other items i could not find them at ANY store here and i found their online ordering to be a hastle. So i bought a Medela and absolutly love it. I like the automatice let down feature, with my Ameda i had to manually adjust the speed to change to a letdown pump, but now i just press a button or it triggers for me.