Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation with no pump

Default Relactation with no pump

Hello ladies,
    I am new to here and this forum so I apologize if this question has already been asked. However here is my story. I BF'd my daughter for 2 months give or take a couple weeks and I hit a weak spot and started feeling self conscious that I didn't know what I was doing because it seemed so hard to me so I quit. I put my daughter on formula and turns out she has what I think is a milk allergy. The doctors don't think so and they just made me switch to different formulas but I don't think it has helped much. Basically she is absolutely miserable and I feel like it was all my fault, like if I had kept BFing then she would be a pretty happy baby. Also, I regret it because even though it came hard to me, after a month or two of a break I started to miss it and the bond. My daughter is now 6 months old and I have decided that I want to try and BF again. I feel like it can really help both of us out because she just seems to hate formula. I just have a few questions, I have been reading many posts on different websites about it but I am just so lost and feeling doubtful even though I want this more than anything.
    My questions consist:
    1. Do I absolutely need a pump to relactate? I mean, I don't have one nor do I have the money for one and since my husband just found a new job we won't have insurance for a few months so basically getting a pump is out of the question. Is it possible to produce milk after completely drying up without pumping?
    2. I know that baby simulation is a big factor, however, my baby doesn't want anything to do with my breasts. She knows its not her bottle and knows food doesn't come out of it so she doesn't want it, how can I get her to latch onto my breast without having any milk. (I also do not have money to buy a sns device) I think that it'll be easier once the milk comes in because she might realize that my breast is a way of getting food too, but until I get milk i don't know how to get her to latch
    3. What do I need to do (without a pump and baby suckling) to get a milk supply the fastest. Since she is already 6 months old I don't want to waste much time before she gets too old. What can I do? Can i build a milk supply with just supplements?
    4. Any help on what to do!!! Thank you so much!!

Default Re: Relactation with no pump

Welcome to the forum!

What you want to do- relactate without using a pump- is possible. However, there is no herb or supplement that will do the job. Those things are useful in concert with nursing and/or pumping but they won't do anything by themselves. The best way to rebuild supply is to give the breast frequent stimulation, either by having the baby nurse or by pumping with a high-quality pump.

I am sure that sounds discouraging, since your baby won't nurse and you don't have the money for a pump. But you still have options! First, your baby might eventually go back to the breast if you are patient enough. This link has some good tips for making that happen: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ Second- and I would encourage you to pursue both options simultaneously- I would get a pump. If you're in the US and qualify for WIC, you may be able to get a pump from them. If not, call your local La Leche League or go to a meeting and ask if someone has a used pump in good condition that they would be willing to part with. Officially, most pumps are supposed to be single-user medical devices and La Leche League can't get behind them being shared. Unofficially, a lot of used pumps change hands in the parking lot after meetings- and a lightly used pump can be rehabbed to make it an okay choice for a secondary user.

While you are looking for a good pump, I would suggest getting the process started with hand expression and a manual pump (usually costs around $20- less than a can of formula, and only about $5 more than a bottle of herbal supplement). These are generally the least effective techniques for building supply, but they are way better than nothing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Relactation with no pump

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html is a good video on hand expression. An SNS is a brand name, in my opinion very over-priced lactation aid. I just use a #5 French preemie feeding tube stuck in a cheap nipple attached to a little bottle like you'd pump into. The feeding tubes cost about 5 dollars. But before you can use one your baby needs to latch on...babies are smart and your baby has learned that milk comes from a bottle. Not trying to discourage you but it will take work to make this happen.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.