Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exercising and supply

Default Exercising and supply

I'm not sure this is the correct forum to ask this question, but before I got pregnant and during my entire pregnancy I exercised regularly and was a runner. I haven't ran since my son was born. My son is exclusively breast fed and I'd like to start running again, but will it do any harm to my supply, and are there other things I should know about exercising/ running while breast feeding? Thanks!

Default Re: Exercising and supply

The rule of thumb that I have heard it to wait until 6 weeks postpartum before starting up an exercise routine again. I started light jogging around 4-5 weeks postpartum but it was really short and easy stuff, not intense at all. By the time I returned to work at 12 weeks I was back up to running 12-15 miles per week at a moderate pace with no supply issues.

When you do get back into it, make sure you keep hydrated and eat plenty of food to make up the burned calories. This is not a time to be looking for dramatic weight loss as this could hurt your supply. I would suggest eating healthy but avoid any kind of calorie restrictions.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

You should be OK as long as you eat and drink plenty. Exercise hasn't affected my supply. I'm also a runner (marathoner) and am very guarded of my supply since I don't make enough for my twins.

Oh and make sure you get a good, supportive sports bra.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Also, try to make sure you nurse/pump as close to the time you're running as possible. I got a clogged duct once from exercise, and I became obsessive about trying to be as empty as possible -- at least for the first 6 months or so. Then I just had to do what I could.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    Oh and make sure you get a good, supportive sports bra.
    I personally think that you want to avoid the compression styles- look for something that supports from the band and the shoulder straps, rather than squashing you flat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Bras that compress only are usually not rated for high impact, like running, anyway, unless you are an A cup. You will want to look for what they call "encapsulation" bras (or a combo of the two types). Encapsulation bras will usually have a wider range of sizes than just S/M/L and will take into account your actual bra and cup size for sizing. If a bra comes in a S/M/L size and turns you into a uni-boob, then toss it for running, now and in the future.

I usually buy champion sports bras (not the Target C9 line) because I find their impact rating system to be very straightforward. The downfall of champion is their poor selection for large breasted women. I get very irritated by sports bra manufacturers that provide no impact rating whatsoever, which is a vast majority of the sports bras in a typical sporting good store. If it doesn't have an impact rating, or is not specifically designed for running, then I am not touching it.

Okay, I stand corrected. This subject got me thinking I wanted a new running bra, so I went to Champion's website and found their newest addition to the fleet is the "Marathon", which comes in S/M/L sizes, appears to be almost entirely compression and rated for MAX impact up to size L. Ouch, I am skeptical.

moving comfort is also a good brand of sports bra.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.