Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two month baby still has poor latch and nurses all the time

Default Re: Two month baby still has poor latch and nurses all the t

As far as shields go, they are certainly a controversial tool, and I normally do not suggest them EXCEPT when things are so baby cannot latch (this is what they are meant to be used for) OR mom cannot nurse due to the pain. It is certainly true they may not help and can even cause worse injury, on the other hand, there is no doubt some mothers have found them helpful when trying to heal injured nipples.

Turns out my baby had both a posterior tongue tie AND upper lip tie! I went to a great pediatric ENT and both were clipped once diagnosed. I put him to the breast immediately (while he was still fussy from the procedure) but he latched on with the best latch I had personally experienced ever! I am so relieved and thankful that the problem was diagnosed. I have to admit, I'm a little upset that it took this long to figure out the problem and that "experts" missed it. I am looking forward to breastfeeding in the future now though so am overall thrilled.

What wonderful news!!! I hope your nursing experience is nothing but positive from here on out- you earned it!!!

Did they show you what to do to keep the ties from reattaching? If not, give them a call and ask.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes I was shown how to do exercises to keep them from reattaching. Thanks!