Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pump help

Default Re: Pump help

This may be a silly question, but have your periods returned? The sudden onset of pain while pumping like this reminds me of the month my cycle returned, because I also had this out of nowhere sensitivity to turning the pump's suction up to where I usually kept it. For some reason, pumping really, really hurts me when I'm ovulating. My nipples are crazy sensitive for two days, mid cycle. Nursing, strangely, does not hurt me during this time, but pumping is insanely painful for me!

I also did have to increase my flange size after about two months of back-to-work pumping. But it doesn't sound like the pain you are experiencing is constant, or due to rubbing or poor fit--which is why I asked the longshot question about your cycles!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm always one-handed on a smartphone, either using the forums while pumping, or while a baby is sleeping on me.

You know what, yes! They have returned. And I never even thought it could affect me that way. I'd read it could affect supply but not nipple pain. Unfortunately we are no longer nursing and pumping is all I have so I guess I'll just have to tough it out for a few days.
    Also, I just want to be clear, the pump I have at work is fine. It does not have two stages of expression though, which the hospital grade pump has, and because there are only 3 settings, low, medium and high, it's harder to control how the milk is being expressed.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*twinsincity View Post
    The pain is like a pinch - and yes sometimes my nipples turn purple (although not the entire nipple and it has happened before but never with the pinching pain while pumping.)

The color change is suggestive of vasospasm (see http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/ for more). Vasospasm can be caused by compression, so it may help to try a different size of shield. If not, then have something hot standing by for the moment you stop nursing- heat is the best treatment for vasospasms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"