Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tummy aches, red ring... Need help trouble shooting

Default Tummy aches, red ring... Need help trouble shooting

My DS is 6 weeks old, and has been EBF from day one. No problems with latching and no issues with supply. I'm pretty knowlegable and confident with nursing since I bf'd my first for over two years. I have been block feeding a bit to ensure his fore/hind milk balance is good, so I know it's not that.

I know allergies are usually accompanied with strong symptoms like green stools and/or vomiting, which isn't the case here... so I'm left thinking, what else could it be. He really seems to struggle with tummy aches, and I don't know how to eliminate it.

With that said our issues are this:

-He has a red ring around the opening of his anus.

- At night he can get inconsoleable or just never content, but some nights he's a complete angel, which lead me to belive it isn't colick

- He's very gassy at night and when he is passing gas or pooping, he cries... which leads me to think he has tummy aches

- He poops a lot. Nearly every diaper change is poop which can be every hour to two hours.

- His poops are never green, always yellow.. but at times they can become foul smelling, though sometimes they aren't the typical seedy poops and more mucousy, but still yellow (not like a typical bf poop smell)

- He gets fussy at the breast. He will nurse for a couple of minutes and then pop off and scream <--- mostly in the evening. There are nursing sessions where he will nurse for long periods of time and eventually just pacify on me, which as strange as it sounds, I love!!!

For the good:

-he's gaining weight very rapidly, and the pediatrican is very pleased with that

- he doesn't spit up much at all, unless he just cleared out an engorged breast and got a ton of foremilk.
    :in love

Default Re: Tummy aches, red ring... Need help trouble shooting

Welcome to the forum!

Possible explanations for what you're seeing:
    - Red ring around the anus could be diaper rash, allergy, reaction to the wipes you're using.
    - Fussiness could be due to tiredness, to milk coming out too fast or too slow, to increased gassiness at a certain point of the day, to colic, or to colic-like fussiness. (FTR, colic is defined as inconsolable crying in an otherwise healthy, well-fed baby that starts between 3 weeks and 3 months of age, occurs for 3 or more hours per day, for 3 or more days per week. It does not have to happen every night in order to meet the criteria for colic.)
    - Frequent pooping: totally normal. Normal stool frequency in a breastfed baby can vary from multiple times per day (often at every feeding and in between feedings as well) to as little as once per week.

Some things you can do for a fussy baby:
    - Calm house. Lights, TV, and stereo down or off.
    - White noise. Radio static, dryer sounds, heartbeat sounds, etc.
    - Motion. Rocking, swaying, bouncing, swinging.
    - Nurse, if baby is willing!
    - Closeness. Wear baby in a sling or cuddle him close to bare skin.
    - Trip outside into fresh air.
    - Warm water. Give baby a bath in the sink (no soap necessary) or take him into the bath or shower with you.

Often the best way to deal with fussiness is to change the baby's sensory inputs, distracting him from whatever is making him cranky. Nothing will work for long, so the moment one soothing strategy fails, be prepared to try something else.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have been block feeding a bit to ensure his fore/hind milk balance is good, so I know it's not that.
    What do you mean by block nursing? Do you mean baby prefers one side at a time, or are you having baby nurse on one breast for 2 or more feedings? And about how often does baby nurse?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    What do you mean by block nursing? Do you mean baby prefers one side at a time, or are you having baby nurse on one breast for 2 or more feedings? And about how often does baby nurse?
    Feeding baby on one side for 2 or more feedings. There for a while I had an oversupply and both breast were constantly engorged. Block feeding helped slow it down and I noticed he would sleep a bit better when he would clear out an entire breast.

ok since the block feeding helped, it might be time to stop. Block nursing reduces milk supply and once that is accomplished, regular nursing can resume.

I mention this because block nursing can potentially exacerbate fast letdown issues (including any 'too much foremilk' issue) because each time you switch breasts, baby is nursing from a breast that has had a long buildup of milk, and it is that (the buildup of milk in the breast) that causes (or exacerbates) ffld and too much foremilk. I know you think the issue is not too much foremilk, but it sounds a bit like that to me-I think it would be nice to rule that out entirely before moving on to considering allergy. of course, if you go back to 'normal' nursing and it does not help, it is a simple matter to resume block nursing. However some experts caution against ongoing block nursing because it can seriously harm milk production if it is done too long or when not needed or no longer needed. Nancy Mohrbacher suggests block nursing for no longer than a week.

By normal nursing I mean, nursing frequently (at this age you can expect baby to nurse at least 10 to 15 times a (edit) 24 hour day and following baby's cues for when and how long to nurse. Many babies prefer to nurse one breast at a time, and that is fine.

more on block nursing fyi
    do’s and don’ts of block nursing: http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/tag/block-feeding
    and http://cwgenna.com/blockfeeding.html
    and forceful letdown http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 11th, 2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: i mean 24 hour day, not 25. It just feels longer!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    ok since the block feeding helped, it might be time to stop. Block nursing reduces milk supply and once that is accomplished, regular nursing can resume.

I mention this because block nursing can potentially exacerbate fast letdown issues (including any 'too much foremilk' issue) because each time you switch breasts, baby is nursing from a breast that has had a long buildup of milk, and it is that (the buildup of milk in the breast) that causes (or exacerbates) ffld and too much foremilk. I know you think the issue is not too much foremilk, but it sounds a bit like that to me-I think it would be nice to rule that out entirely before moving on to considering allergy. of course, if you go back to 'normal' nursing and it does not help, it is a simple matter to resume block nursing. However some experts caution against ongoing block nursing because it can seriously harm milk production if it is done too long or when not needed or no longer needed. Nancy Mohrbacher suggests block nursing for no longer than a week.

By normal nursing I mean, nursing frequently (at this age you can expect baby to nurse at least 10 to 15 times a (edit) 24 hour day and following baby's cues for when and how long to nurse. Many babies prefer to nurse one breast at a time, and that is fine.

more on block nursing fyi
    do’s and don’ts of block nursing: http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/tag/block-feeding
    and http://cwgenna.com/blockfeeding.html
    and forceful letdown http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/
    I've now cut dairy completely for two days, along with coffee (a friend mentioned cutting coffee helped her DD's tummy troubles so I figured why not) and he has seemed much more content, the fussiness is still there at points, but being content outweighs crying.... I know it takes a week or even two for dairy to get out of my system, so this could merely just be a coincidence; though I will take my victories as they come

As far as block feeding, I don't purposely block feed him, though during the night when I'm nursing laying down, he will pacify from one breast all night long, because I fall asleep and then the other breast is left either very full or sometimes engorged. I need to work on setting an alarm to remind me to flip and give him the other boob. I have noticed since I've cut dairy that my supply has suddenly increased, along with my let down. I'm not sure if it's because of my diet. I have cut nearly all processed food, mostly because I'm afraid of hidden dairy, so I am literally only eating organic meat, veggies, nuts, fruit, and sometimes coconut icecream. Any thoughts as to what is causing the increase in supply? Both of my breast are always full, which makes me afraid the my DS will start to get too much foremilk

Well if there has been a noticeable improvement in baby so quickly after dairy elimination, that is an indicator the issue is dairy, and really no reason to look further at this point, instead, I suggest keep going with the elimination about two weeks and then reassess. If eliminating dairy is a hardship for you, I would suggest "testing' it periodically by taking in a good amount of dairy quickly-drink a glass of milk, for example, and seeing if ‘symptoms’ return. However it sounds as if you have eliminated gluten and wheat as well? These are also potential sources of food sensitivity.

I have cut nearly all processed food, mostly because I'm afraid of hidden dairy
    of course nothing wrong with avoiding processed foods, but again, if this is a hardship for you, you can pretty much be ok as long as you learn to read labels. Dairy is hidden in plain sight with different names but it should appear on the label in some form if it is in there. Also, not all dairy intolerance is created equal. Remember your baby is getting very little of the milk protein from what you eat. Some babies react to the slightest amount, but in other cases mom can eat trace amounts of dairy with no symptoms and in other cases, as long as mom avoids basically 'straight' dairy like milk, butter and ice cream, she can eat yogurt and cheese in moderation.

what would cause the increase? Is it possible there is no actual increase, but rather, baby is sleeping longer/nursing a little less frequently because baby is more comfortable, and so you feel more full rather than the production actually has increased maybe? Or if production has actually increased, maybe the change in diet is agreeing with your system, or maybe the change is agreeing with baby so baby nurses better, increasing production.

I would suggest not worry about foremilk so much. As long as baby is being cue fed and allowed to nurse as baby wishes this is seldom a real problem unless there is some serious overproduction going on. inadvertent block feeding like you describe is probably not going to cause any problems and if there are, they are easily solved by switching sides occasionally. 'too much' Foremilk and ffld can sometimes cause discomfort or issues like you described but is rarely a serious issue.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 12th, 2013 at 10:24 PM.