My DS is 6 weeks old, and has been EBF from day one. No problems with latching and no issues with supply. I'm pretty knowlegable and confident with nursing since I bf'd my first for over two years. I have been block feeding a bit to ensure his fore/hind milk balance is good, so I know it's not that.
I know allergies are usually accompanied with strong symptoms like green stools and/or vomiting, which isn't the case here... so I'm left thinking, what else could it be. He really seems to struggle with tummy aches, and I don't know how to eliminate it.
With that said our issues are this:
-He has a red ring around the opening of his anus.
- At night he can get inconsoleable or just never content, but some nights he's a complete angel, which lead me to belive it isn't colick
- He's very gassy at night and when he is passing gas or pooping, he cries... which leads me to think he has tummy aches
- He poops a lot. Nearly every diaper change is poop which can be every hour to two hours.
- His poops are never green, always yellow.. but at times they can become foul smelling, though sometimes they aren't the typical seedy poops and more mucousy, but still yellow (not like a typical bf poop smell)
- He gets fussy at the breast. He will nurse for a couple of minutes and then pop off and scream <--- mostly in the evening. There are nursing sessions where he will nurse for long periods of time and eventually just pacify on me, which as strange as it sounds, I love!!!
For the good:
-he's gaining weight very rapidly, and the pediatrican is very pleased with that
- he doesn't spit up much at all, unless he just cleared out an engorged breast and got a ton of foremilk.