Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning from bottle?

Default weaning from bottle? & 12mts BF, what next?

My DD has just turned 1 and I work part time, so when she is with child minder she is getting expressed milk in a bottle.

When should we stop the bottle? DD is able to drink from a doidy cup, she usually has a small drop of water after meals but im not sure she would be able to manage to drink enough breastmilk without spilling most of it out.

Anyone else in this situation?
    Last edited by @llli*yvonne9; December 14th, 2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: to vauge

Default Re: weaning from bottle?

I think you'll find a variety of opinions on when to wean from the bottle. A pediatrician or a dentist would probably tell you that you want to transition to an open or sippy cup at around 12 months, because fluids delivered via bottle can have deleterious effects on the child's teeth (though if the fluids in question are exclusively breastmilk or water, it's much less of a problem because water doesn't cause decay and breastmilk generally doesn't as long as the child has normal tooth enamel). I think a mom would tell you to observe your baby. Is your baby able to drink from a cup? Is she taking enough from the cup to make up her fluid requirements? Is she reliant on the bottle to transition to a nap? If the baby can drink from a cup, drinks plenty from the cup, and doesn't need a bottle before a nap, then work on transitioning sooner rather than later. If the baby is still just getting the hang of the cup and/or needs a bottle before a nap, then maybe the transition needs to be a bit slower. Offer open and sippy cups, but don't take away the bottles too fast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My daughter is almost 13 months old. Pumping is hard work for me, and I don't have a generous stash. So the thought of my BM getting spilled...I'm not comfortable with that at all, personally!

My daughter drinks from a straw cup almost perfectly now. She's been doing sips out of an open cup for several weeks, too, but isn't ready for much more than just a little bit at a time in the cup. So she gets water with her meals exclusively in cups. Once I am positive she will not spill or waste it, I'll consider putting the milk into the cups. My doctor, for what it's worth, was totally okay with this plan!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm always one-handed on a smartphone, either using the forums while pumping, or while a baby is sleeping on me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think you'll find a variety of opinions on when to wean from the bottle. A pediatrician or a dentist would probably tell you that you want to transition to an open or sippy cup at around 12 months, because fluids delivered via bottle can have deleterious effects on the child's teeth (though if the fluids in question are exclusively breastmilk or water, it's much less of a problem because water doesn't cause decay and breastmilk generally doesn't as long as the child has normal tooth enamel). I think a mom would tell you to observe your baby. Is your baby able to drink from a cup? Is she taking enough from the cup to make up her fluid requirements? Is she reliant on the bottle to transition to a nap? If the baby can drink from a cup, drinks plenty from the cup, and doesn't need a bottle before a nap, then work on transitioning sooner rather than later. If the baby is still just getting the hang of the cup and/or needs a bottle before a nap, then maybe the transition needs to be a bit slower. Offer open and sippy cups, but don't take away the bottles too fast.
    Hi how do you know how much fluids she needs now from a cup? I don't want to give her too much water with meals to avoid filling her up, she takes about 1oz of water with meals, we are doing Blw so she eats as much or as little as she wants, again portion sizes im not sure but sticking to the size of her palm which is about four to five pieces of food. She is still BM on demand although demand has gone down during the day and is in short bursts now, I offer her Bm when I think she may want some but shes not that interested, Im afraid she is going to self wean before im ready. I tried offering her cows milk only a few times but she hasn't really taken to it.
    Childminder still uses bottles for naps so I cant really do anything to stop it as I cant expect another person to be able to settle baba the same way breastfeeding can.

God sorry, Think ill rename this post as 12mts bf, now what?? I think the hardest part is try to connect all the systems together, DD with childminder, me, dad and grandparents> I have never tried to enforce a routine as I think its too stressful and it would never work as DD is separated from me as I work, so Im going with the flow and hoping for the best. DD seems happy as larry and people always comment on how happy she is all the time which must be a sign.
    carlos gonzalez - kiss me, got this as recommended by another post and It is fantastic, love it+++++