Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stomach bug leading to decreased/low supply?

Default Stomach bug leading to decreased/low supply?

So my 7 month old son had a stomach bug last week, which OF COURSE I picked up on Friday. I was unable to eat or drink anything most of the day Friday and actually vomited most of the day. I only pumped twice that day as I was hardly able to get out of bed. I have been tying to make it a point to eat and drink as well as possible the last 2 days knowing that Friday would likely affect my supply but it seems like my supply is dropping even more. Has anyone else had this happen? How did you get your supply back up and how long did it take? I am supplementing with fenugreek and throwing in an extra pumping where possible and nursing on demand but my son gets really agitated and "bitey" I think because my supply which is normally plentiful has slowed way down. I will also note that my let down is much slower and weaker than normal. Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated!

Default Re: Stomach bug leading to decreased/low supply?

It might take a few days. Keep nursing a lot , drink and eat plenty and rest up so you can recover.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Stay hydrated and give it time. It's quite possible that some of the dip has to do with the baby having a lower than normal appetite. There's every reason to expect that your supply will bounce back as you and your baby both get better.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son and I had a similar situation where he was sick, and then I was sick. The combination of him not eating well, followed by me not eating/drinking well tanked my supply but it did come back.

You are doing everything right. Eat and drink as best as you can. Keep nursing on demand, and if you feel up to it a few extra little pump sessions. The extra pumping isn't necessary but will help speed up the process.

I was in the same boat the day after Thanksgiving. Yuck! It took a full week after I was able to eat and drink normally for my supply to fully recover, so about 9 days total. I just pumped and nursed like normal and while baby was definitely hungry, his hunger and extra nursing helped encourage the rebound.

So it's been more than 10 days and my supply is STILL super low??? I'm a little concerned here. What else can I do? I am BARELY able to pump enough at work to make bottles for my son to have at daycare. I am pumping about 3 oz in the morning after nursing (used to pump up to 5-6 oz and then only 3-4 oz at my 3 pumping sessions at work. It seems my son's appetite is back to normal but my supply is still way low! It is also worth mentioning that my period also started on Friday so I am thinking that might have something to do with it too? AND I've been a little stresses due to a work promotion and added responsibility last week and my son is having a very minor surgery this week... Am I doomed or can my supply still bounce back???

My guess is that what you need to do is to add in more pumping sessions- if that isn't possible at work, pump after nursing when you're home with your baby. If you were home full time with your baby, he would respond to decreased supply by nursing more often and emptying the breast more completely when he nursed. The frequent nursing and thorough emptying would eventually stimulate your body to increase supply. Mimic that nursing pattern with the pump and you should eventually see a rebound. Decreases in supply are very unlikely to be permanent unless you allow them to be!

At 7 months, it may be time to check your pump and make sure it's in perfect working order. You may need to change your flange size, as well, since many moms find that they need larger or smaller shields as time goes on and the breast changes.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

5-6 oz in one pumping session is actually a LOT of milk, especially right after nursing! It's unsurprising that you can't easily pump that amount now, as that's really in the "oversupply" territory!

So, to clarify, are you pumping 3-4 oz during each pumping session at work, or 3-4 oz total over your work day? If the former, that sounds like totally normal pumping output. If the latter, than yes, some attention to getting you back up to normal pumping amounts is necessary.

Yes, having your period is also a very common reason to temporarily see a dip in supply. It usually bounces back up to normal in a few days. And no, you're not doomed. You can power through this!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!