Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7wo Green frothy poo and bad wind

Default 7wo Green frothy poo and bad wind

Hi,
    My baby has had good weight gain and is certainly filling enough nappies (more than enough, at least one per feed during the day and every other feed at night).

I initially had lots of milk, was engorged a lot and she struggled to feed. She was a c section birth and very sleepy - she'd fall asleep after a couple of sucks, so I decided to pump to keep up my supply while she got the hang of it.

Stopped pumping after 3 weeks and things seemed to be going well, but her wind at night has got worse and worse (waking up every half hour after 3am straining, usually refuses a feed though) and for the last week she's had green poo off and on. When I see it come out its extremely frothy. She's also very congested sounding at night, so I wonder if it could be a cows milk protein intolerance?

Or oversupply, or a bad latch. She often doesn't open her mouth very wide at all so I suspect the latter, sometimes she's just hanging off my nipple and my breast often feels quite hard afterwards still. Should I pump after feeding to ensure its drained and keep supply up, or is that a bad idea in case it's oversupply in the first place?

I did go to a bf support group on Thursday where the IBCLC checked for tongue tie and saw one feed which went fine- she didn't really have much to add about what I do when she doesn't open her mouth enough.

Grateful for any suggestions as I'm really getting worried about the state of her nappies and scared I'll lose ,y supply if she's not feeding properly.

Default Re: 7wo Green frothy poo and bad wind

From your description I would be inclined to think oversupply causing her to get a lot of foremilk. These links have some more info about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...milk-hindmilk/
    http://www.llli.org/faq/foremilk.html
    I would think the shallow latch issue is probably related to the oversupply- her trying to regulate better how much she is getting. Are you still pumping?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

with Rcsmom. In addition to her question about pumping, how would you rate your supply at this time? Are you still feeling full/engorged pretty often?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks very much both for answering.

I'm only pumping now every two or three days to get a bottle for my husband to feed her so she's used to bottles. Having said that, a few times we've then been too lazy to bottle feed so its just got frozen.

I'm quite unsure about my supply. I definitely feel hard and painful if she's not fed for a while, but nowhere near as much as I used to. I'm also aware that when I pump now I normally only get 2-3 oz (though I only empty the side she last took and take an oz or so off the other to leave her some fattier milk for next time) whereas I used to get lots more.

So I'm sure my supply is less than it was, and I can always squeeze more out when she's finished, so I guess it must be good still.

I'm trying to stick to one side for a couple of hours now, but am nervous about it causing my supply to drop too much. How would I know if that had happened?

How long is "not fed for a while"? If you are able to get 2 oz AFTER she has nursed you are probably still dealing with some oversupply. She is only taking one side per feeding? This link has some more info out oversupply
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I agree, this still sounds like oversupply to me. You're feeling engorged if the baby doesn't feed for a while, you're able to pump 3-4 oz at a time with enough leftover to feed the baby... So let's not go to the dairy protein intolerance place right now.

Is there a reason that you feel you need to be pumping? Are you returning to work soon? Stockpiling milk for a sitter? If not, then I would take the pumping and bottles out of the equation for now. Let the baby manage your supply and see what happens.

Managing oversupply is an art, not a science. You want to go by feel and the baby's behavior rather than by the clock. If baby nurses on one side and seems satisfied, that's fine. And if she finishes the first breast and still seems hungry, it's fine to offer the second side. If you feel like supply is dipping too low- because baby is frequently still hungry after feeding off just one breast- start offering both breasts at every feeding and supply will rapidly bounce back up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks again for your help.

By a while I meant around 3 hours during the day, though at night I'm usually not very sore unless she's gone 4 hours plus.

I'll take your advice mommal and not be too precise about the sides and just see how it goes. I do feel sorry for her with such a sore bottom from the acidic poo (only round where it comes out, I'm being really careful to change her really quickly - an advantage of the air in them means I always hear when it needs doing!).

I doubt there is any need to block nurse. In fact if you have latch concerns going on, in particular, typically it is best to avoid block nursing. There are other things that help and are not going to lower production, such as nursing frequently, nursing laid back, not pumping (or cutting back on pumping), and letting baby nurse one side at a time (or two) as baby prefers, there is only the need for block nursing when 1)op is causing pretty bad breastfeeding issues for mom and baby and 2) less invasive remedies have been tried and do not work.

I don't think green poop or op means 'acidic' poops. Any diaper rash may be from the frequency of changes and all that wiping irritating the skin, not the poop itself. I had op and ffld with all 3 babies and once we stopped using commercial wipes at every change, and instead, at least when home, gently soaked botttom clean with a soft cloth and plain, warm water, and found a barrier cream we liked, diaper rash was never again a problem.