Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old not gaining weight

Default 4 month old not gaining weight

Hi there,

My daughter will be 4 months old in a few days and the pediatrician is concerned that she is not gaining enough weight. Each visit he asks me if my milk is "enough", and suggests I provide formula "if she still seems hungry". The problem is I have always had adequate supply and she never seems hungry after a feed.

She was 3030 grams at birth, but dropped to about 2665 after a few days. I was quite heavily medicated during the labour though so perhaps her birth weight was inflated. Since then her weights have been as follows:

1 week - 2.9 kg
    7 weeks - 4.4 kg
    9 weeks - 4.65 kg
    3 months - 5.05 kg
    4 months - 5.2 kg

Please note though, from 7 weeks on the doctor has weighed her with a diaper. The 4 month weight is on a different scale (I rented one so I could monitor), it also includes a diaper but immediately after a change.

I would like to try some pre- and post-feed weighings on my own to see if she is getting adequate milk supply. Any advice on what would be a reasonable gain?

Any help would be appreciated.

Concerned Mom

NE PA

Default Re: 4 month old not gaining weight

Actually according to the WHO chart your LO is pretty consistently at the 10 to 15 percentile growth curve.
    That means that she is pretty consistently following her own growth curve which is good. I don't think that *I* would jump to weighing before and after feedings. However if you are concerned you could try offering to feed more often and see if she will nurse more. This link has some more info about how to determine if your baby is getting enough.

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )