Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP

Default HELP

My supply hasn't been great as I have mentioned in previous posts. I only pumped 5 ounces yesterday during work. I left work at 2:30 and forgot to put my milk in the fridge when I got home. The temp of my kitchen as been in the low 60's. When I pulled it out this morning it was cool to the touch. Is it ok to use this milk? I am about to cry. This is my third time doing this and have had to supplement with formula because I don't have a chance to ever freeze any. I'm so sad right now.

Default Re: HELP

I am really sorry krhusband, how frustrating!

So your milk was left out overnight, correct? Was it in a cooler bag or at room temp (66 - 78 degrees F) the whole time? The general recommendation is that fresh breastmilk is ok at room temp for 4-8 hours. It's a big differential, and I assume the lower the temp of the room, the longer the milk is typically ok. In an insulated cooler bag, milk is ok for 24 hours.

Mommy brain strikes us all. I leave myself post-it notes where I cannot miss them (bathroom mirror, inside of front door, computer screen) when I have something I am worried about forgetting.

Milk storage guidelines: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...toringmilk.pdf

Thank you so much for getting back with me. Yes it was left out at room temp, well a little below room temp but still not as cold as a cooler. I didn't risk it and threw it out. I cried a little. I have struggled with my supply since I have started my new job. I have only been able to pump once during an eight hour shift, so for all that to go to waste really upsets me. I wish there was something I could do to help my supply. I nurse only while I have her with me all the time (after work and on weekends) but while I was pumping around around 10 oz during an eight hour shift I'm down to around 4-5 ounces. She eats 8 ounces while at daycare with two ounces mixed with cereal and or homemade fruit/vegetable. I'm just getting so depressed about my supply, I really wanted to make it a year.

Is there any chance of you getting another pump break during the work day? That would probably be the most effective way to increase supply.

You could also try pumping after nursing when you're home with your baby, and/or right before bed if your baby has a long stretch of sleep at night, and/or in the middle of the night if she sleeps through. Just getting a couple more oz in the evening would get your closer to that 8 oz you need...

If it makes you feel any better, I once spilled 5 oz on my freshly cleaned carpet. When I was struggling with supply and supplementing with formula- which just made it more painful.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I probably have asked already-have you checked out your pump?

I haven't checked my pump, what should I be looking for? I honestly didn't think of that.

I have tried to get in extra pump sessions but it is really hard. My period has returned which has impacted my supply as well. Last night was the worst night. She usually nurses and goes back to sleep, last night she popped off screaming like she was still hungry. I had to give her my only frozen bag I had when she kept refusing to latch to back on. I am so stressed, discouraged and on the verge of tears most of the time. Her stool is perfectly formed but is a ball none the less, I worry she is not getting enough milk yet she eats when she gets hungry.

Is it possible she is weaning herself? She is nine months, teething and becoming very active. Any and all help/input is appreciated!! Thank you so much.

pump- What you should look at specifically depends somewhat on the make, model and age of pump, and your pumps manufacturer should be able to give you troubleshooting ideas. (You can get back to us with that info and see what moms here have experienced with your pump type as well) And you want to find out if there has been reports of issues with your pump, any recalls, for example.
    Generally speaking the membranes should be changed frequently, these wear out very fast. Also check all tubing and connections to make sure there is no wear or gaps. You may be able to get your pumps suction tested if there is an IBCLC or something around you who does that.

Flange size should be considered as well. The lactating breast normally changes in size over time, getting first larger in the early weeks and later, smaller. If you are using the same size flange you were earlier on, they (or one of them) may be too large and that makes the pump much less effective. You can also consider trying a different pump, maybe renting a hospital grade, to see if that makes a difference. If your pump is not working perfectly, that will certainly have an impact on milk production.

Is it possible she is weaning herself?
    Is it within the realm of possibility that a breastfed baby will spontaneously wean from the breast before a year? Yes. Is it likely? No. Weaning means that a baby no longer needs breastmilk and can live on solids and while this is possible (for some babies) it is (EDIT) NOT typically optimal for most babies, healthwise. Also, teething and being active do not make babies wean. They may cause a nursing strike, fussiness, and distractibility and sometimes moms figure these mean baby is weaning. But that is not the same thing.

But a baby who is routinely given bottles for any reason is being subtly (or not so subtly) encouraged away from breastfeeding. This is no one’s fault, it is just a reality of bottle use. The more bottles and/or pacifier use there is and the longer it goes on, the more likely it is that baby may be weaned from the breast to the bottle and paci. This is called 'triple nipple syndrome’ and may cause a child to begin to refuse the breast, and there may in same cases be no reversing this trend even if mom tries. But it is not really the same as natural weaning (imo).

So when a baby needs bottles for any reason, assuming mom wishes breastfeeding to continue, she can be aware of this possible concern and take steps that make sense in her situation to prevent it. (limiting bottles & paci to needed only, using paced bottle feeding and cue feeding, gently encouraging nursing as much as possible, pumping if any formula supplements are needed...)
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 13th, 2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: I meant, it is NOT typically optimal for a baby to wean to solids under a year.

Ok, so I'm pretty sure it's a nursing strike along with teething. An ear infection has been ruled out by the pediatrician. She is congested some (mostly during the night and when she gets fussy). Again last night she was up every two hours and would eat and then pull off screaming. Changing her diaper, walking her, cooing her don't ever really seem to help at night. She has two bottles a day while I'm at work (4oz bottles) and eats an ounce of milk mixed with cereal and either a vegetable or fruit. Her output is pretty normal, usually one to two good bowel movements a week and 8-9 wet diapers a day.

Should I buy the book the womanly art of breastfeeding this late in the game (daughter is 9 months old)? I don't know what to do and my pediatrician isn't really supportive regarding breastfeeding. My support at home is not that great either. I'm stressed with my new job but have managed to find time (despite the smirks and giggles from the guys when I open my office door) to pump twice a day during an eight hour work day. My output is around 4-6 ounces. I have no frozen milk left. I have pumped in front of my daughter a couple of times after she has eaten or when she has refused to eat (I read and article that stated you shouldn't do this?). I nurse her when I am with her and our nursing relationship has been strained for the past couple of weeks. It's really hard and then it gets better and then it gets worse again. By bad I mean at night she is up every two hours to eat yet will only eat for about five minutes and pull off screaming. I've always had a slow let down response but it hasn't really bothered her in the past. We do not co-sleep. She sleeps in her crib in our bedroom. I am scared to have her in bed with me and I can't sleep when she does. I'm exhausted, depressed, stressed (new job and holidays) and determined not to quite. She has not had formula since the last time I left her milk out over night and couldn't give it to her which was about three months ago.

There isn't a local la leche league group near me (Bluefield, VA) and I don't have a la leche league leader I can contact to come over and help. I'm the only one on my side of the family that has breastfed and my mother in law breastfed but isn't much help as she was a stay at home mom with all of her babies (5) and never had the stress of working and pumping. She also said that by the time her kids were my daughters age she had them on three meals a day and sleeping through the night. She said it wasn't normal that my daughter doesn't sleep through the night. Ugh

This site has been my only source for useful information and support and I'm so counting on help now. Seriously in tears and feel beaten. I wish I could say that breastfeeding has been a wonderful experience but so far it has been anything but. :'( Looking for help, support and suggestions.

I am running out of time on my break right now, but I just want to say one thing quickly--a 9 month old nursing for 5 minutes in a session is pretty normal! Babies get really efficient at milk removal as they get older. I don't think my daughter ever really nursed much longer than a few minutes per session during the day at that age.

Oh, one more question--are you pumping 4-6 oz TOTAL during your work day, or is that your per session output?
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Thanks for the help. The way she pops off (screaming like she is starving) is what makes me think this is not normal. That and knowing that my let down reflex normally takes a while so I know she is not getting much if anything at all.

4-6 oz is total, per session pump is anywhere between 2-4 oz. Here lately it's been more on the 2-3 side.