Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Questions about reflux and pumping to up supply

Default Re: Questions about reflux and pumping to up supply

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Losing the feeling of fullness at 12 weeks: normal.
    Baby acting very fussy when supply adjusts: normal. She may be needing to know a whole new and more assertive style of nursing.
    Baby not taking a bottle: normal, particularly if she is getting her needs met at the breast.
    Hair pulling during nursing: totally normal- babies do all sorts of weird twiddly moves while nursing.
    Pumping 2 oz per breast after feeding: extremely good. After nursing, a lot of women can't get anything with the pump.

Basically, I don't think I see a problem here. Watch the baby's diapers- as long as she continues to have sufficient wets, she is getting enough to eat. This link covers how to evaluate a wet diaper: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...ughmilk-older/. Give her a chance to get used to the new flow regime, give her a chance to learn how to nurse effectively now that things have changed.
    thanks for your response.

unfortunately things have gotten worse. She just doesnt want to nurse at all since last night. It seems like maybe she is teething and I ate some dairy yesterday so I dont know if either are the cause. she doesnt seem to have an appetite. we try to feed her from bottle and spoon. she doesnt seem to want ti. im getting concerned this point about dehydration. of course she hasnt nursed well all day and i only had time to pump once so my supply IS dipping.there is some milk in there but she doesnt have energy/ doesnt want ot cant get to it. she's falling alseep after few minutes and from the sounds of her nursing I know she is getting very little. not sure if any of this is normal.

if i pump 2 oz doesnt meant i have a good suppy, it means baby left that much in my breast.

her weight on my scale has not increased this week.

My concern is when baby sucks for like 30 sec then has one small swallow. she cant be comfort nursing all day. That means the flow is not good and/ or baby cannot access the milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*safitu View Post
    thanks for your response.

unfortunately things have gotten worse. She just doesnt want to nurse at all since last night. It seems like maybe she is teething and I ate some dairy yesterday so I dont know if either are the cause. she doesnt seem to have an appetite. we try to feed her from bottle and spoon. she doesnt seem to want ti. im getting concerned this point about dehydration. of course she hasnt nursed well all day and i only had time to pump once so my supply IS dipping.there is some milk in there but she doesnt have energy/ doesnt want ot cant get to it. she's falling alseep after few minutes and from the sounds of her nursing I know she is getting very little. not sure if any of this is normal.

if i pump 2 oz doesnt meant i have a good suppy, it means baby left that much in my breast.

her weight on my scale has not increased this week.

My concern is when baby sucks for like 30 sec then has one small swallow. she cant be comfort nursing all day. That means the flow is not good and/ or baby cannot access the milk.
    Hi everyone, just want to update you that my daughter is now refusing to eat just about all together. We've been able to get her to suck from a bottle, but she only drinks 1 oz. She probably had a total of 3 oz of formula and expressed breastmilk TODAY! i wanted to try the formula to see if it would make a difference. She nursed 2-3 times today. Im in touch with doctor and monitoring her closely for dehydration. I dont find this normal at all. Im willing to try anything so will start her on zantac tomorrow. at this point, I think it must be reflux as I just cant imagine what else it could be.

also, ive been diagnosed with PPD. these are tough times. I just hope my daughter will start eating soon!

thanks everyone

Hey mama. Sorry no-one responded to your last update. How are you and baby doing now?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks, Mommal. Were doing well.

Here's our update:

I never put her on Zantac.

We (my baby, my 9 yr old son and I) went to stay with my sister on xmas day and stayed there for a week. I was so worried b/c my baby kept pulling off and would not stay latched to nurse properly. She was not cueing to feed and when I offered, she would suck a few times and pull off. She was not eating! My sister reassured me that baby was fine (chubby, active, alert, plenty of wet diapers) and that she would eat when she wanted to. While at my sisters, she started nursing only when asleep, but still very short periods of time. I read a lot of posts in theses forums about babies who only nurse while sleepy/sleeping and distractible babies and was relieved to find that I was not the only one going through this. I realized that my baby was going through a major transformation in her development, becoming more aware of herself as an individual and aware of her surroundings, which was affecting breastfeeding. I also realized that I was suffering from really bad pp anxiety. I had NO appetite and was hardly eating. I was already only 100 lbs (my normal weight but still). I wonder if baby was picking up on my anxiety? I wondered if my lack of appetite and not eating affected her appetite?

I brought my pump along and thought that I would pump to maintain my supply while baby was being fussy and not nursing as expected. I was too exhausted to pump, plus I didnt really know what I was pumping for...for my breasts to be full the next day only for my baby to once again not drink the milk? I just couldnt do it. I worried my supply would suffer but I just decided that if my production decreased too much that I would deal with it one way or another when that happened.

So I returned to work the 2nd week of January and to my surprise pumped 16-19 oz each day M-F in 3 separate pumping sessions while at work 9-5 (10-15 min pumping sessions). Most was obviously pumped in the morning (7-9oz). (Funny now thinking how the last lactation consultant I saw insinuated I had low supply and was only making 16 oz a day and told me I should pump 4 times a day to increase my supply.) I know for a fact my girl was not drinking 16-19 oz during the day in the weeks before I went back to work. Im also pretty sure my supply had regulated. How is this possible to get so much at the pump after baby not nursing well for so long?

When I went back to work my baby finally decided she would take the bottle from her dad (yes he is staying home with her for a month and doing an AMAZING JOB). she drank a little more each day, up to 11oz on Fri my first week back. My first week I pumped enough M-W for her to drink M-F and took the surplus from Thursday and Friday and put it in the freezer. The 2nd week she increased to 4 - 3oz bottles and that is now her standard amount.

Some days I would get home and baby would nurse well (= 5 min on one side). There are times here and there I feel she is draining my breast (it feel softer, lighter). There are a few times she will even take the 2nd breast for 30 secs. She nurses quite a lot over night. Like 3-5 sessions. Im not totally awake and aware of duration but I would guess 1-2 minutes, sometimes maybe 3-4. From the first suck I can hear her gulps. On weekends, its usually back to her nursing only when sleeping or I need to take her into dark room and do sidelying. Sometimes to keep her on when shes awake I need to rock her, pat her, entertain her, let her hold my finger. Let down no longer sprays but I can still feel it rushing down. Not as painful as before. If I pump myself empty, baby will stay on longer and seems more relaxed. And there are times she just will not nurse. Or gets really frantic or cries. So its up and down but I just stay relaxed, knowing she will be fine.

My appetite has returned and I am eating well. I'm still only ~103 but I feel much better. Now that Im eating and sleeping better, does it contribute to me perhaps overproducing beyond what baby takes. (True "Oversupply" from my understanding must be accompanied by excessive weight gain).

Baby weighed 12 lbs 12 oz naked a few days ago on my scale. I weighed her today with clothes and she was 13 lbs 2 oz. I checked the growth charts and this is perfect weight gain - I forget what percentile but she is following it perfectly from 10 weeks. Disappointed that the last IBCLC told me she had acid reflux and was gaining slowly. I will write her a letter eventually.

Through all this, I have learned to relax and let go. To trust my baby to know when she wants to eat and how much and for how long. And to trust my body to keep providing milk to her. Who knows what the future holds. I would love to BF her for an extended period but have also accepted that no matter what I have a beautiful baby who will grow into a beautiful little girl. Every day I get to nourish her with my milk is a blessing.

Sorry this was so long, I would love to hear thoughts on all this.

My thoughts are: wonderful!!! It sounds like you really stuck with this, took a thoughtful and responsive approach to your baby and her needs- and you're being rewarded by feeling more calm and pumping out a gazillion gallons of milk. I am so impressed that you are so open to nursing at night. I am sure that's part of why you are succeeding at continuing to nurse and seeing nice weight gain. Kudos!

If anxiety is a big thing for you, I really suggest either doing some deep breathing on your own, or checking out this app called Breathing Zone, which can guide you through it. It is amazing how well deep breathing can take you from near-panic attack to "hey ho, time to go to sleep"!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"