Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help!! New mom trying to breast feed

Default Please help!! New mom trying to breast feed

Hi, I just had my daughter a week ago today and I have been trying to breast feed her on and off. She is taking formula for now, she usually doesn't have a problem latching to my breast but it seems like she is not getting enough milk cause she is hungry in the next 15 mins even when I do try to breast feed for almost an hour sometimes. I didn't pump yet because I don't think I have enough milk. Please help me, I really wanna breast feed her and start pumping but I have the double latch pump and it's really expensive and I don't wanna open it if I'm not going to be able to you use it... My doctor said it takes about 3 days for my milk to come in and I'm not really leaking or anything. Only a little bit comes out when I squeeze my breast and nipple. What should I do??

Default Re: Please help!! New mom trying to breast feed

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

First of all, some questions for you:
    1. Can you tell us why you first got into supplementing with formula?
    2. How much formula are you using in a 24 hour period?
    3. How many times are you nursing your baby in a 24 hour period?
    4. What sort of pump do you have?
    5. How does it feel when your baby nurses? Is it comfortable for you?

Here's how milk production happens. During pregnancy, hormonal changes prepare your breasts for breastfeeding. Around the 2nd trimester, they start producing colostrum, the first milk that your baby will drink. Colostrum is produced in small quantities, but that is all a baby requires in the first 3-5 days after birth. Once the baby is born and the placenta has been expelled, the production of mature milk can begin. The baby's suckling stimulates the production of the hormone prolactin, which in turns creates milk. The more suckling the baby does, the more prolactin is produced and the more milk is made- this is why most newborns nurse at least 10-12 times per day. More nursing = more milk.

Supplementing causes problems because a baby who fills up on formula doesn't nurse as much as she otherwise would, prolactin levels remain relatively low, and milk is not produced in sufficient quantities. My guess is that what has derailed your milk production is the formula supplements.

The best way to produce more milk is to give your breasts more stimulation. More stimulation -> more prolactin -> more milk. If you're currently nursing the baby "on and off", switch to nursing as much as possible. Aim for 10-12 nursing sessions per day, switching her back and forth several times before considering offering her a supplemental bottle. Keep the supplements small- 1-2 oz at most. And conclude every bottle feeding with more time at the breast- the more your baby gets the idea that the breast is where she feels full and happy, the more likely she will be to want to nurse. Finally, if you have time, get the pump out and pump in between feedings. This is particularly important if your baby is not nursing much or not nursing particularly well. Pumping not as good at stimulating milk production as a nursing baby who is nursing well, but it is better than doing nothing!

This is a useful link on weaning from formula supplements: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

(EDIT- I wrote and posted before seeing or reading mommals post please excuse any repitition I have to go and cannot edit post now)

Hi and welcome, and congratulations on your new baby!

Do you have a local LLL meeting you can attend or a local Leader you can call? I strongly urge you to CALL someone and talk out your concerns. I will try to help but I am confused about what the issue is except that you have been given confusing advice.

There is milk in your breasts even before baby is born, and that milk, although it is a small amount, is enough-in fact, it is plenty-for baby for the first several days in the vast majority of cases. What typically happens at about day three is milk becomes more abundant. (In many moms this occurs is a bit later, esp. with first baby and/or if mom had lots of birth interventions or meds.) But this only happens in a normal fashion and on a normal schedule IF milk has been and is being extracted from the breasts frequently in order to bring in a normal milk production.

This is why your baby wants to nurse again 15 minutes after nursing initially. Because biology is compelling baby to do so, in order to bring in a normal milk production. This is NORMAL.

You are only a week into this, so any harm that has come to your ability to produce milk because you have not been extracting milk as frequently as needed can easily be turned around at this point by nursing baby as frequently as baby wishes. You can expect that a newborn will want to nurse at least 10-15 times a 24 hour day, and not on any particular schedule. Again, it is normal for baby to want to nurse for an hour and then again 15 minutes later. This is a totally normal nursing pattern. Baby will also normally take the occasional longer sleep stretch, but I would urge you to not let baby sleep longer than 4 hours and only that long once a 24 hour day for the next few weeks or at least until your milk production is clearly ok. Baby needs to be nursing very very frequently for the first several weeks this is normal and needed.

IF baby will not nurse that frequently or nursing hurts you and you cannot nurse that frequently or you need to supplement (more on how to know if supplements are needed below*) that is when you will want to break out the pump and pump, at least 8 times a day, or every time baby gets a supplemental feeding.

As far as pump cost- obviously I cannot guarantee you that you will be able to nurse your baby exclusively-I see no reason why you should not be able to, but there are no guarantees. However, since there is no reason to think that, if you start removing milk frequently NOW, you will not be able to produce enough milk to at the very least, mostly or partially breastfeed or at least produce enough milk via pumping to partially provide your milk for your baby, then I will suggest the cost of the pump is worth it, as most pumps (I have no idea what kind you have but I assume it is a personal use pump that cost about 200 to 400 dollars US????) then that is much much less expensive than exclusive formula feeding.

How much milk you squeeze from your breast means absolutely nothing. If mothers could simply squeeze thier breasts and get out the milk that is in there, why would we need expensive pumps? Even how much you hand express if you properly hand express, (or pump, fior that matter) at a time at one week of baby age means little or anything about your future or even current milk production, but fyi a normal individual feeing at this age would be small-an half ounce to 2 ounces or so would be entirely normal feeding. If baby is taking more than that via bottle, please understand that a baby cannot control the flow when bottle fed and often overfeeds with a bottle. I will link info on how to bottle feed but if you can safely avoid bottles for at least the next few weeks that is probably best.

*A baby only needs supplements if baby is not gaining weight normally. Since you do not want to weigh baby every day, a way you can tell baby is getting enough without such frequent weight checks is how often baby poops and what the poops look like. By a week old, a breastfed baby would be pooping at least 3 times a day, (a poop big enough to be scooped up in a spoon is what counts) and poops would look yellow, brown-yellow or maybe green, very watery, maybe curd-y or seedy, but should no longer be black and thick and sticky-tarry. However, formula will change poop consistency and so until baby is off formula, poop may be a bit darker and thicker than normal breastmilk poops.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 15th, 2013 at 02:16 PM.

Paced bottle feeding

Information sheet: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs (Don’t worry about what she says about time between feeds- typically, best to cue feed whether nursing or bottles.)