Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Perfect milk supply but heavy letdown

Default Perfect milk supply but heavy letdown

Hi! I need help in how to control my heavy letdown.
    LO is getting enough milk because he is being gaining weight and has enough poopy diapers,etc.
    But... I have noticed this past week that my letdown is to heavy, It comes really fast and a lot of milk and LO seems to handle it, but he is spitting a lot after feedings (which I think it is related because of the amount of air he is getting in)

My milk suppply is great, because I don't get engorged so I assumme I don't have over milk supply.

So, what can I do to control the letdown, I have read pumping, which other solutions?
    I read that hand express when the letdown comes? how long should I hand express

Thank you so much!

Default Re: Perfect milk supply but heavy letdown

Hi mama, welcome to the forum!

If your LO is handling the milk well, then I don't think you need to take any steps with regards to the fast letdown, usually the problem with fast letdown is baby has difficulty handling it and sputters/chokes/gags/comes off the breast crying. If that does become an issue, laid-back nursing positions can help, and/or letting the letdown spray into a towel or cloth after baby either starts nursing, or by hand expressing a bit at the beginning.

Laid-back nursing:
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf
    http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...stfeeding.html

The primary reason babies spit up is that the sphincter between the esophagus and the stomach is not fully developed, so what goes down does not necessarily stay down. It is not necessarily an issue of fast letdown. As long as baby is a "happy spitter," ie basically unfazed by the spitting up, it's really only a laundry problem. You can try burping baby more frequently if you feel like he is getting too much air in, but some babies are just heavy spitters (two of mine were!). Another trick is to hold baby in a somewhat more upright position after feeding for a period of time, although there's no guarantee that baby won't spit up after that.

I would actually suggest NOT pumping as that can lead to oversupply and can exacerbate issues with heavy letdown. Engorgement may only occur with really dramatic oversupply; you could still have a relative oversupply without being engorged.

Completely with the excellent advice from the PP. So many moms get themselves into crazy situations with pumping and expressing when it's not warranted. Fast letdowns aren't something you need to over-manage.

Definitely try the reclined positions- since your baby isn't struggling with your letdowns, it sounds like that's all you really need to do.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much.... Now he doesn't want to eat the normal supply, after the heavy let down passes (he latching and eating happily during the heavy let down) he pulls my nipple when the flow is normal or slow, he gets desperate because he wants the milk flow be quick! I think he is getting lazy because of the heavy letdown... what do you think?

A lot of babies have a Goldilocks attitude towards nursing. They want the milk to come out just right- not too fast, not too slow. And when it's too fast, or too slow, they react by acting fussy.

Best thing you can do is to let baby figure out how to get the flow speed he wants by adjusting his nursing style. If he wants more milk, faster, he needs to nurse in a way that makes that happen. Be patient with him- he'll get the knack of it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"