Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk in tubing

Default Milk in tubing

I am not pumping very often any more, but when I do, I am almost always getting milk in the tubing of my PISA, which didn't used to happen. Is this an issue with the tubing, or the pump? My pump is over six years old and has been used heavily (I used it to pump while working full-time for babies one and three, and as my backup pump for baby two.) Other than the milk in the tubing, it's working fine. I'd like to prolong its life for as long as possible - I definitely don't want to get a new one at this stage of the game! Is milk in the tubing deleterious, other than the effort it takes to clean it out? It looks like the tubing is not too expensive to replace, but I don't want to spend the money if it's just going to happen with new tubing anyway.

Default Re: Milk in tubing

the only time i got milk in the tubing was if i accidentally let the containers fill to the point where the pumped milk was rising above the bottom of the valve/membranes. then the suction would pull the milk back into the apparatus. is that possibly happening?

No, I've had that happen to me as well, but that isn't the case now.

I wonder if it's an issue with the actual plastic connector piece? I can't think of what to call the middle piece you plug both the flange and the tube into off the top of my head. But if something isn't quite lining up there anymore, perhaps? I'm not sure how expensive a new flange set at the store is (I mean the one that you only have to put the valve/membrane on and plug into the tube) but maybe you could try that? I've got one of those sets, anyway, because my husband accidentally melted my parts on the stove a few months back...
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

I thought that's the piece that's called the valve? Anyway, I know what you mean. I've accumulated a bunch by now, I think that's a good idea, I can at least try different ones and see if I see a difference.