Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight gain

Default Weight gain

Hello!

LO will be 4 weeks on Friday. His birth weight was 8#4oz. His lowest weight was 7#13 at 6 days old. His weight today with only a 5 minute half asleep feed was 8#5. The pediatrician was hoping he'd weigh more then that.

I nurse every 2 hours during the day, and every 4 at night.

Am I doing the right things here? Should I nurse more?

Thank you!

Default Re: Weight gain

When there's a concern about weight gain, the first thing to do is to figure out if the concern is warranted. Some questions for you:
    1. Has baby always been weighed nude, using the same scale?
    2. How does nursing feel- is it comfortable for you?
    3. Has baby been sleepy or jaundiced at all?
    4. How has baby's output of wet/poopy diapers been over the last few weeks?
    5. Stools- abundant and yellowish, or scanty and green/brown?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, same scale and naked.
    Nursing is much more comfortable now. A rough start with cracked nipples nd thrush in the milk ducts... Ouch!!
    Sleepy like a typical newborn. Jaundice levels checked today and pedi called tonight, all is normal.
    Lots of wet and dirty dipes.
    Yellow curdy looking stool.
    Thank you!

This is pretty slow gain. Typically at this age a baby will gain ~ an ounce per day starting at about day 6, and the gain from that point is only a third of that. So I think your pediatrician is right to be concerned.
    But with such slow gain, I would not expect normal output...
    How many poops per 24 hours that are the size of a us 50 cent piece or larger?

I suggest, Rule out scale or human error. It happens. Ask your doctor if the scale has been recalibrated since the 6 day weight and, whether it has or not, have baby weighed again to double check. Then,

Is there any way you can see a board certified lactation consultant? (IBCLC) Weight gain issues might be a breastfeeding issue and it might be something else. It is important that breastfeeding be assessed to make sure baby is transferring milk properly and to assess if there is a low milk production problem. So I think it is very important to see someone who will help you assess that. Aside from that, I suggest:

Gently encourage baby to nurse as much as baby will, at LEAST 10 times a 24 hour day. More is fine.
    Gently Encourage baby to nurse for as long as baby will
    try breast compressions-search "jack newman breast compressions" for description
    Stop or cut back on any pacifier use or swaddling
    Did the ped suggest supplementing?