Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Donating pumping accessories?

Default Donating pumping accessories?

What do you do with all the pump related stuff when you're done? I've got multiple medela bottles, a couple connectors, 5 sets of horns, not to mention the pump. I'd really just like to give them to someone who could use them.
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

Default Re: Donating pumping accessories?

Contact your local LLL. Pumps and accessories are considered to be single user devices. That means that LLL can't get behind hand-me-down arrangements. But that doesn't mean that moms don't pass them on, out in the parking lot after a meeting. Just make sure that anyone who takes the items has a good sense of the level of wear and tear that they've experienced- this is particularly important for hand-me-down pumps, since they can get pretty broken down by heavy use- and also of any relevant health concerns.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My breastfeeding support center takes anything that can be sterilized.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I was going to ask a similar question -- but do you just throw your pump away? I'm assuming the companies won't take them back (even though it's required in some non-U.S. countries that companies take back the "trash" they've created!). I have 2 pumps, both heavily used (one a hand-me-down I kept as a backup). I can get a free one with my insurance for LO #2, so I really don't need so many.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

If the motor is worn out and suction isn't powerful anymore then yes I believe you throw them out.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Grrr...seems so wasteful. I'd think they could refurbish the motors or something! I may call and suggest it, just to get the bug in their ears.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*filmmommy View Post
    Grrr...seems so wasteful. I'd think they could refurbish the motors or something! I may call and suggest it, just to get the bug in their ears.
    In my area we have Nursing Mother's Council and I believe they take old pumps to refurbish. You might even call your local WIC office (if you're in the U.S). I got a modified pump from WIC when I was on maternity leave due to one income only and qualifying, and it was a different version of the Medela PIS which I assume meant it was refurbished.
    We , , , and with my little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

Garsmum, great to know! I was about to write to Medela this morning, but did not get to it yet. I'll see what is around my area.