Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and Nursing

Default Pumping and Nursing

My son is five and half months old and for months now he has refused to nurse while he is awake. I know the issue is when I am not as full as I am in the morning and he doesn't get constant flow he gets frustrated so I have just accepted this.

I have been pumping for at least three months now and giving him the milk in the bottle. I still offer the breast but 99% of the time during the day he will refuse it.

He does nurse at least twice a night during his sleep, usually in the early morning hours.

My question is as we introduce solids and later on when he does start to slowly require less and less milk how I can help it so that we reduce the bottles but keep the nursing so that the nursing is the last thing to go?

I was devastated at first when he refused to nurse but have been forced to accept it. I just hope as time goes on and he requires less milk he continues to nurse for what he does require.

Default Re: Pumping and Nursing

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tiffylove View Post
    I was devastated at first when he refused to nurse but have been forced to accept it. I just hope as time goes on and he requires less milk he continues to nurse for what he does require.
    Tiffylove, you sound like you have learned to adjust, but I am just curious, did you seek help from an IBCLC? Was it a latch or letdown issue? My son also had trouble staying on and eventually overcame this. I know pumping is a lot of work and if you don't have to do it, even better. (I have to when I'm at work, but I wouldn't do it any other time).

If after help you are totally unable to get him interested in breastfeeding, as it may be now that he has developed a preference for bottle nipples, then eventually yes he will need much less milk. However that does not occur at 6 months usually. "Solids before 1 are just for fun" pretty much proves true as breastmilk (or formula) is the main source of nutrition until 1 when they actually start to show more interest in eating. My DS started to eat more and more around 11 months. Yours may be a different story. But I just caution you about wishful thinking that everything will change in the near future with his need for breast milk. Instead I might focus more energy on getting this issue resolved - to save you time, energy, etc later on pumping when he could just be nursing. It is not too late to resolve bfing issues!
    , , , , ,

Hi tiffylove,
    There are several moms on here that I can think of that had babies who were essentially on strike from daytime nursing for MONTHS and eventually baby did start to nurse more. (Hopefully they will chime in with their stories so you can hear it directly from them!) So don't lose hope! I agree with garsmum, it is possible you can get baby back to breast. And one good way to start is to take advantage of naptimes - since baby nurses at night during sleep, will he nurse when he's going down for a nap, perhaps just as he's drifting off? Similarly, can you lie down with him towards the end of his nap and offer the breast then, before he is fully awake? If he takes a couple naps a day, that is potentially four more nursing sessions - and less pumping for you! Also, since he will nurse at night - do you nurse him in a side-lying position at night? Do you think he might like the side-lying position during the day?

I agree with garsmum, breastmilk (or formula) makes up the majority of baby's nutrition up to age 1. So if you don't have success getting baby to breast, you can start gradually cutting back on pumping when baby turns one, as baby's solids intake increases you can slowly decrease more. (The other option is to introduce animal's milk at that point.) But if baby continues to like his nighttime nursing, no need to stop that! As toddlers/young children grow older and get more calories from other sources, they gradually nurse less - that is the natural process of weaning. But towards the end it's not unusual for a child who is close to weaning to nurse one or two times in the day (or night) and there's no reason you cannot continue to do that for as long as you and your son both want to! Keep in mind too that nursing is as comforting for older children as it is for babies, and even when an older child doesn't nutritionally "need" the milk (because he eats a varied and complete diet of other foods), he may still want to nurse - and there may not even be that much milk at that point.

5 mos baby also refuses on breast when fully awake, she's easily get disturb with television or people in the room (daddy), even while starring at me disturbs her because instead of nursing she laugh at me then stops latching. please don't give up. try other position, side lying works best at me and my little Bonbon. she refuses side lying only when she's not hungry.