Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I doing this all wrong?

Default Am I doing this all wrong?

I've been having the bumpiest road with breastfeeding... to fit all my trials in this post would be a book. However, long story short, my baby's weight gain took a nosedive after I was put on the minipill, and after every possible attempt to get my supply back I ended up on Domperidone (which I am still on). I finally got my pumping output to go from 7-9 ounces in a 12 hour work shift up to 14-16ounces.

My husband usually feeds my son 14 ounces while I am gone (I work overnights, and it's split up into 3 feedings). Baby was starting to finally have a slow but satisfactory weight gain.

However, over thanksgiving break we experimented with my 5-month old son on solids - my sister gave him some after I had just fed him. He inhaled 4 ounces of squash like he was starving. It breaks any mama's heart to know that your tiny underweight baby is starving even after an attempt to breastfeed him. Since then my husband and I decided to start daily solids.

He has been eating about 10 ounces of veggie/fruit puree a day, and is very obviously plumping up before our eyes. He's never looked healthier.

However, I am starting to notice a small but worrisome decrease in my pumping output at work - tonight I am only able to get about 12 ounces instead of my usual 14.

I enjoy seeing some pudge on my sweet boy for once, but am I compromising my milk supply? Am I doing this all wrong? My breastfeeding goal is one year and hopefully no use formula.

Default Re: Am I doing this all wrong?

Before the age of one, baby's primary source of nutrition is breastmilk. Solids are to learn about new tastes and textures, and the motor skills baby needs to learn to feed himself. After age one, solids take on a more important role as a source of nutrients, and breastmilk starts to become complementary - although this is a gradual process.

First, I wouldn't interpret the fact that your son ate 4 ounces of squash to mean that your baby is starving. He may just be very interested in new tastes and textures! And 10 ounces of veggie and fruit puree a day seems like a lot to me. My experience with my babies is that they would eat a spoonful or two of solids. So I guess your little guy really does like solids! That's not a bad thing, but it does mean you should be careful that he is not getting overly full on solids, because at this point breastmilk is still the most nutritious food for him. I think it is more probable that the plumping up you are seeing is due to breastmilk rather than the solids, because breastmilk is a lot more calorie dense than a vegetable or fruit puree would be. And at 5 months, many parents have not even introduced solids yet. The fact that you are seeing a dip in your supply could be because he is getting filled up on solids and therefore nursing less.

Bottom line, I would suggest backing down on the solids and keep doing what you've been doing with the nursing. How much are you nursing baby when you are together? It never hurts to offer more - baby won't nurse if he's not hungry - but if he is, nursing more is good for his weight gain and your supply. If you do continue with solids, make sure to nurse before solids.

I make sure to offer the breast before any solids, and makes sure he completely empties me before I feed him veggies. Downside would be that he goes a little bit longer between feedings. I would estimate that he's down to about.... 7-9 nursing sessions a day, not including a couple extra "snack" sessions where he doesn't seem to seriously nurse.

Can I use Fenugreek/blessed thistle along with Domperidone? I suppose I do need to start adding extra pumping sessions... would these be added right after he was done feeding or in between feedings?

Yes use the fenugreek/blsd thistle alongside the dom. It's up to you if you wait awhile to pump or immediately after nursing. You would pump more if you waited but he'd get more the next if you didn't,

For solids, consider avocado. Very high in fat which babies need for brain development. I'm not too sure about filling up on low-cal squash.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*deedles253 View Post
    I make sure to offer the breast before any solids, and makes sure he completely empties me before I feed him veggies. Downside would be that he goes a little bit longer between feedings. I would estimate that he's down to about.... 7-9 nursing sessions a day, not including a couple extra "snack" sessions where he doesn't seem to seriously nurse.

Can I use Fenugreek/blessed thistle along with Domperidone? I suppose I do need to start adding extra pumping sessions... would these be added right after he was done feeding or in between feedings?
    Sounds like you are doing well. Things I know: always offering the breast prior to eating solids - my DS is 14.5 months and I generally still do that. A couple things I heard you say: remember, your breasts are NEVER empty. It's like someone is pouring continuously into a cup that leaks/is emptied, all the time, just sometimes the pouring "in" is slower and sometimes really fast. All the fenugreek in the world (I've used tons of galactalogues too) won't do anything if you don't increase the nursing sessions. 7-9 is okay but 8-10 would be better for his age. Also - those "snack feedings" count too. As baby gets older he is getting more and more efficient at getting milk out. Sometimes just a few minutes is all it takes and he is still telling your body to make more. I also found I need a lot of water/liquids but mainly during summer months to keep myself hydrated. The longer I breastfeed the less fluid intake I've relied on overall.
    Question: you work overnights - is that 5 days per week? Do you sleep with baby when you are home? Because that really is a strong foundation for us working moms to continue to be able to breastfeed. Those dream feeds really boost supply. I've talked to too many moms who saw a major "pump slump" when they trained their babies to STTN and ended up supplementing or weaning when they never intended to do so. Just a suggestion!
    , , , , ,

Ok. One of his foods is avocado... he seems to tolerate it well. I'll try and make it his more prominent solid food. I'll try adding fenugreek to my pills.

I will increase nursing/pumping sessions and see if that helps. And increase fluid intake.

I work two 12-hour nights a week... No I do not sleep with baby. I don't trust myself especially since I work nights I tend to sleep while I am way overtired and unable to wake easily. However, my mom watches my child while I sleep and brings my baby to me several times while I sleep to nurse. I may nurse him while lying down and have my mom take him away after a certain amount of time. While I am not working he does still wake during the night and I nurse him typically 2-3 times per night and have no plans to sleep train him. Is this also ok?

Nursing 2-3x/night sounds really typical and does not sound like a supply problem to me.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.