Re: Help... Newborn eating me out of house and home
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!
First, some questions:
1. Can you tell us why your baby required donor milk? Was the baby having trouble nursing, was she dropping too much weight, or was something else going on?
2. How many times per day does the baby nurse?
3. How much supplement are you using in a 24 hour period?
4. How does nursing feel? Is it comfortable, or painful?
5. You say that your breasts and nipples are extremely sore. Can you describe the soreness in more depth? Is it a stabbing pain, a burning pain, or is it more like a bruise?
6. Are your nipples cracked or blistered?
7. Is the baby very sleepy, and having a hard time staying away for feedings?
The pediatrician is correct that in most cases, there is no need for a mom to pump or supplement. The baby will create and maintain a good milk supply through nursing alone. Often babies who have been supplemented from very early on will act fussy even after a completely adequate feeding, because they have come to expect every feeding to conclude with a bottle.
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"