Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First time mom with supply, pumping, storage questions

Default First time mom with supply, pumping, storage questions

Hello, I am a first time mom and have a few questions.
    My baby is now 15 days old. The first two days, in the hospital she was exclusively breast fed, which is what i want to do. Then the day I came home I had a lot of people influencing me and for the next 7 days I breast fed her and then supplemented her with formula (2oz) after pretty much every feed, however I breast fed for 30-40 mins at least 6-7 times a day. When she was 10 days old, and I was finally home alone I started to exclusively breast feed her again. For the past 5 days I have given her no formula, and she has made at least 6 wet diapers daily. She poops every other day, which she did even on the formula.
    I feel that right now, after 5 days of exclusive breast feeding I have enough milk to satisfy her, and I let her nurse on demand and have no problems with that, even if that means nursing her every 30-40 mins. I also started to pump after every feed, with a medela pump in style pump but I only get 3-5 ml total after every session. UnfortunAtely I have to go back to work in 5 weeks, and my concerns are:
    1. If I am pumping so little now, is there any hope of pumping more when it's getting closer for me to go back to work?
    2. Is it normal for a 15 day old to nurse this frequently (if she is awake she wants to nurse)
    3. While I am okay nursing her every 30-45 mins, once I go back to work what is going to happen to her?
    4.should I continue to pump 8 times a day for 15 mins. Because honestly that is driving me a little crazy.
    Sorry for such a long post, but some help would be much appreciated.

Default Re: First time mom with supply, pumping, storage questions

6-7 x / day is not very frequent for a newborn. 8-12 is more average.

2 oz of formula after every feed is a lot! Why did you feel that was needed, or why did these people feel like it was needed or their business?

Are her diapers wet like damp or soaked?

Have you seen an IBCLC (lactation consultant)? Where did you get the idea to pump after every feed? If your supply is already adequate I am confused why you are doing this. It sounds like baby is emptying your breasts very well, and that is a very good thing. I'd nurse more often for supply and skip the pumping. Pumping can drive anyone crazy.

When do you go back to work? ETA: sorry, you said in 5 wks....I think most women just pump 1-x/day to build a freezer stash. I'm not sure. I do struggle with supply and my babies will get donor milk for my first day back at work and I will pump at work. Do you have figured out pumping breaks at work at least every 3 hrs?

How has baby's wt gain been?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Krystine has good questions, your answers will give us the info we need to help better. But just to answer your specific questions in some more detail-

1. If I am pumping so little now, is there any hope of pumping more when it's getting closer for me to go back to work?
    Yes. First off, milk production typically increases for the first 4-6 weeks. Your production may be a little down from where it would normally be at this point due to the supplementing, so with frequent nursing you will probably see that increase. Also, while you are home with your baby and nursing around the clock, anything you pump is “extra.” When you are back to work, you will (?) pump while separated from your baby, (I assume?) so pump output at those times will likely increase. Not all moms are able to pump much milk, and certainly output each time you pump may be small. But most moms can increase what they pump over time.
    2. Is it normal for a 15 day old to nurse this frequently (if she is awake she wants to nurse)
    You can expect a 15 day old baby to nurse at least 10-15 times a 24 hour day. Many babies nurse more than once an hour at least part of the day. Baby wanting to nurse and sleep and nothing else is entirely normal AS LONG AS BABY IS GETTING ENOUGH MILK. Since your baby is not pooping as much as we would normally like to see, I think it is important that you watch baby’s weight gain closely.
    3. While I am okay nursing her every 30-45 mins, once I go back to work what is going to happen to her?
    Your baby's caregiver should continue to cue feed. This is the way normal babies eat. But you can also expect that your baby will not eat this often past the first few weeks. However, IF there is any way you can realistically delay your return to full time work at all, I would suggest, do that. 6 or 7 weeks is a very short time frame to get everything on track so separations starting at that point can be very difficult on breastfeeding.
    4. should I continue to pump 8 times a day for 15 mins. Because honestly that is driving me a little crazy.
    As Krystine says, there is no reason to pump at all if you are nursing exclusively UNLESS you suspect/know you have low milk production. And even then, I would not suggest you pump so much if it is driving you crazy.

Thank you so much for your replies. To answer all the questions:

I think I was feeling a little unsure of myself, and she seemed content after the 2oz of formula, so that seemed like a good amount.
    Her diapers are soaked, and I actually did go to the pediatrician for a weight check, and she is gaining weight. Her birth weight was 6lbs 9oz and at 16 days of life (and after 5 days of exclusive BF) she weighed 6lbs 15oz. (Her pediatrician was happy with it)
    I pumped because I assumed that would help me increase my milk supply, however I have stopped pumping completely now, and I just breast feed and I am feeling much happier and I feel like I am enjoying my time with my daughter a lot more. So thank you ladies a lot for that suggestion!!
    Unfortunately, I cannot increase my maternity leave. However I plan on pumping at work every 2-3 hours, do you think that will help to keep my supply going?
    Also when I go back to work I am not sure how much milk to leave for my daughter each day, is 24oz enough, or should I leave more? I was thinking of resuming pumping 2 times a day in one more week so that I can have something in store and also see if my supply has increased any??

I also have a few questions
    My daughter is getting better about the frequent nursing during the day. For the past two days she has been nursing around 40 minutes and then sleeping for 2-2.5 hours DURING THE DAY. At night, however she nurses for 50-60 minutes. Then I put her down in the bassinet next to my bed and she stays asleep at best for 30 minutes and then she makes cues to feed again. Usually though she just likes to sooth herself with my nipple because right when I put her at my breast she sucks very gently and falls asleep, but I cannot put her down, because she wakes up. At this rate, usually she spends most of the night on my chest and I am afraid to hurt her because I do fall asleep sometimes. Is this something that will pass as she gets older? Am I creating a "bad habit?" I am not sure what to do about the night time situation, is there something I am doing wrong?

Again thank you so much for all your help.

How long is your work separation? Rule of thumb is 1-1.5 oz per hour of separation. 24 oz is probably too much, unless you work a really long shift! I had a 9.5 hour separation when I went back, and left 15 oz for my first day back. Baby wound up drinking 12. The best thing you can do is make sure your care provider feeds in a breastfeeding friendly manner--paced bottle feedings, small 2-4 oz feedings at a time. I leave 2 oz bottles. Some moms leave 1 oz "toppers" if baby needs just a bit more.

You aren't creating bad habits with your nighttime routine, you are being a wonderful mom who is meeting your newborn's needs. Over time, baby will figure out the difference between night and day. My daughter was completely day/night reversed for six weeks, and then started to come out of that over a period of a few more weeks. Many moms here also bedshare with their infants--would you like safety guidelines to help you do it safely?
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

I would love some tips on safe bed sharing.

http://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/

That is my favorite resource for safe bedsharing tips. James McKenna is pretty much THE expert on the subject!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!